Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

Right now I am shooting a 320 grain arrow and 78Lbs. Seems to be working great LOL My arrows really book. Just curous how heavy my arrows should be. Thanks

Guess I will add, My arrows are 27.5 inches and are pro-x-cutter ultralight gold tips, w/ 100 grain head.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

ORIGINAL: bucketmouthhauler

Right now I am shooting a 320 grain arrow and 78Lbs. Seems to be working great LOL My arrows really book. Just curous how heavy my arrows should be. Thanks

Guess I will add, My arrows are 27.5 inches and are pro-x-cutter ultralight gold tips, w/ 100 grain head.
I know I wouldn't shoot less than a 400grain arrow at game. In fact, I like 450-500gr. Penetrates much better than a light setup, quieter, and seems more accurate for me.

But in your case, how heavy they should be, is up to your manfacturer and you. I know PSE, bowtech and most companies tell you thats way too light. And might warp the cams, or crack the limbs. I know if I was you, I would shoot at least a 400gr arrow. But with your very short draw, you might be fine at 4gr/lb draw.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:09 PM

You did not state your drawlength, but I can tell you right now you're skating on thin ice. ATA minimum arrow weight chart:http://home.att.net/%7Esajackson/amochart.html][/url] http://home.att.net/~sajackson/amochart.html

If you're drawlength is 27.5" as your arrows are, then according to the chart you should be shooting an arrow of about 440 grains weight.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like I should be shooting another 100 grains. I don't think I could make this happen even if I wanted to. Unless they sell 200 grain broadheads somewhere. I don't think penetration will be an issue though.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 PM

Looks like I should be shooting another 100 grains. I don't think I could make this happen even if I wanted to. Unless they sell 200 grain broadheads somewhere. I don't think penetration will be an issue though.
You need different arrows. I'm not familiar with the arrows you're shooting. But I have a hunch they're underspined, maybe dangerously so. They're plently of knowledgable people here that can help with selecting an arrow of proper weight and spine for a high powered setup like yours.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I've got to ask, is 320grains just the arrow or arrow w/ fletching, insert, nock and point? The reason I ask is because I started playing on my TAP program and I get 401.5 grains for your arrows assuming they have 3 4" vanes. Now the program could be off or my data input just sucks, regardless, that's still too light.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2" blazer vanes which I forgot to include I also didn't add in the insertStupid me. What do you think that will put me @. Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.goldtip.com/products/family.asp?cid=6-6C193E45-1314-4FB7-A10A-497F04D12CDA&rnd=219019799here is a link to the arrows anyway.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

The industrystandard is to warranty their bowsdown to arrow weights at 5 grains per pound. (Other than High Country that is; they go down to 3 gpp on a couple of select models they make.) The manufacturersdo not recommend going that low on arrow weight, but they had to warranty their bows that waybecause of their "IBO rating" advertising.AMO (now ATA) hasnever amended that recommended arrow weight chart doegirl linked to, and that should tell folks something.

By the way, they do sell 200 grain broadheads, just not at your average bow store, where light weight and speed is king. Check sites that deal in traditional archery supplies, like 3 Rivers or Kustom King. You can even get brass inserts to bump up your weight and FOC. Darn sure have to go up in arrow spine for that stuff though.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I have 2" blazer vanes which I forgot to include I also didn't add in the insertStupid me. What do you think that will put me @. Thanks
392 grains.

Quick Reply: What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.