Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Default RE: What is the minimum amount of arrow weight per pounds of pull?

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

The industrystandard is to warranty their bowsdown to arrow weights at 5 grains per pound. (Other than High Country that is; they go down to 3 gpp on a couple of select models they make.) The manufacturersdo not recommend going that low on arrow weight, but they had to warranty their bows that waybecause of their "IBO rating" advertising.AMO (now ATA) hasnever amended that recommended arrow weight chart doegirl linked to, and that should tell folks something.
Well, if that's the case 78 X 5 = 390.
Bucketmouthhauler, I owe you an apology. You're 392 grain arrows are within the safe minimum. Now go enjoy that extra speed.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM

Stay with the 5 grain per inch rule for your bow warranty. I tried 145 and 200 grain broadheads before with a 65 lb recurve and aluminum arrows and it didn't work good for me. The arrow tuned up good, but my penetration on deer sucked. To much blade area and I wasn't getting good penetration on game. After about doz deer I went back 125 grain broadheads and they work a lot better for me. Doegril75 is right you should be shooting around a 400 grain arrow and with your poundage you should be able to blow through any thing out their. I'm doing it with 400 grain axis and a 85 grain thunderhead with Diamond Black Ice at 65 lbs. Two this year and it was like I didn't even hit any thing and just shot the arrow into the ground. They don't go very far that way one was shot at 25 yards walked off about 25 yards and the other at 30 yards and ran about 60 yards on a dead run. I seen both of them go down the way I like it.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

No you don't owe me an apology, Thanks for your input.