Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Importance of speed?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Default RE: Importance of speed?

well for me i dont care how fast my bow is shooting, it is accuracy and KE, is all that counts, sure you can use 1 pin, and dont get "jumped on the string" as much, but it is harder to tune, less forgiving, and louder.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:39 PM

As long as I can maintain accuracy, I want my setup to be as fast as humanly possible. I'm more concerned with bow noise as I draw the bow back as opposed to noise caused by the shot. I'll never shoot fast enough to beat a deer's reflexes[&:]. I have a short draw length, so smaller braceheights do not bother me. The shortest bh bow I've ever owned was also one of my favorites-a Bowtech Blacknight Dually @ 5 3/4". When I first saw my Equalizer's birth certificate-289fps ibo @26", 50#, I got giddy.
Archery is as individual as a sport can be. MY preference is for the scorchers to make up for the lack of draw weight and length. And I do quite well with them, despite the negative generalizations speed bows have.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

faster speeds mean faster misses.with a super light and fast setup it tens to make guys think they can shoot forever with 1 pin and this leads to some not so smart shots.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:08 AM

Personally I like a bow shooting between 275 and 285 fps for a hunting setup. For me that speed seems to be the best compromise between shootability and trajectory. When I exceed 300 fps my groups tend to be less consistent. For a hunting rig, I'll take a quiet bow shooting 260 fps over a loud bow shooting 320 fps any day.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow

.....BUT, todays bows are made inherently more forgiving anyway. Companies are making bows to be more accurate, more forgiving, more repeatable and shootable. Today's bows are just so much more efficient than those of the past...
Actually Mobow, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Every year bows become less and less forgiving because of the shorter ATA's increased reflex and higher let off percentages. Are they more efficient, heck yes they are, but the extra speed comes at a price.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 12-12-2007, 11:38 AM

On the shorter bows of today they more forgiving that the one of the past The longer risers with shorter limb and parallel limbs. They are not as forgiving than a longer bow, But are getting closer. The loop has help a lot to in the shooting of short bows. Rod White I know him. I work on his bow once in a pro shop and he married a friends daughter.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with MoBow. My Allegiance this year is the fastest Hunting setup I've had to Date and I shoot it better than any bow I've shot in years past

Dan
Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't make a blanket statement that today's short, reflexedbows are almost as forgiving as long ones. SOME might be - Bowtech's Guardian and Commander come to mind -but certainly not all of 'em.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Allegiance and Guardian are both 2 of the most accurate bows I've hunted with. I have yet to shoot the Airbornes, but I did opt for a 101. It is slightly faster than the Allegiance while maintaining essentially the same brace height as the Allegiance and a longer A to A. I expect itto be every bit as accurate as the Ally. Having shot several low brace height speed bows of yesteryear The Ally is quite pleasant to shoot and I expect more of the same from the 101

Dan
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

The Allegiance and Guardian are both 2 of the most accurate bows I've hunted with. I have yet to shoot the Airbornes, but I did opt for a 101. It is slightly faster than the Allegiance while maintaining essentially the same brace height as the Allegiance and a longer A to A. I expect itto be every bit as accurate as the Ally. Having shot several low brace height speed bows of yesteryear The Ally is quite pleasant to shoot and I expect more of the same from the 101

Dan
MeanV2, you hit the nail on the head. Today's bows are becoming more forgiving and smoother to shoot while maintaining the speed. Better bow efficiency and user friendliness, It's as simple as that.

Quick Reply: Importance of speed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.