Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Maintenance

Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Bow Maintenance

My bow is about 8 years old now. I was wanting to give it a complete going over. My question is what kind of greese, oil, lube do i need for the wheels and limb bolts etc. It is geting re-strung the whole nine yards.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow Maintenance

First thing I need to ask is, How old is the string and cable/cables? If they are over two years, get new ones. Use string wax to wax string, which you should be doing often. Use bow oil to lub the idler and cam, or cams, which ever you got. Which should be done on a regular basis as well. Dont use grease. Make sure all screws are tight (not limb pocket screws, but make sure the anchor screws are tight so the limb pocket screws dont move). All this should be done on a regular basis, so if you have been already doing this, you dont need to do any thing. Check tiller if you have not already.

As for screws and such being lubed, no need. If you are like I, my screw heads and such start to get rusty during season because im out in rain or shine. I just put a little string wax on the heads to prevent them from rusting, works like a charm.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just answering the question. White Lithium grease is the standard for lubing axle bushings and limb bolts these days. If your bow has limb rockers between the limb and riser don't forget to grease these. Dry rockers can cause a clicking noise when drawing the bow.

If your bow has bushings in the cams you need to lube them and the axles. Needless to say it takes very little. If the cams have roller bearings then no lube is needed as these are sealed when manufactured.

If your bow uses a yoke cable attached to little plastic bushings at the limb tips, a touch of lube between the bushing and the limb is wise. Again,, just a touch to keep it from squeaking.

Cable slide and rod? Just clean them with alcohol and keep them clean. No lube necessaryas all it does is gather dust.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

to lube my cable rods i use my scentless windage powder.. or some babypowder