Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New bow and arrow selection questions

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Spike

Default New bow and arrow selection questions

I just bought a Matthews Switchback xt 50-60 26" draw. I plan on shooting/hunting at 60 lbs once my shoulder heals. What would be a good arrow selection and length to shoot 125 gr Thunderheads with. I'd like to get an FOC in the mid teens+ with boadheads. I'd also like to keep my POI with broadhead and field points similar if possible. With the the short draw length and lower draw weight, would aluminum arrows provide an advantage over carbon? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New bow and arrow selection questions

I have the same draw length as you and will be shooting the same 60# on my hoyt when it arrives. I use the gold tip prohunter 55/75. If you are going to be using a 125gr broadhead with a 26.75" arrow (the length I use) with feathers, your FOC would be 15.13%. And the total arrow weight would be around 380 gr. I have been using goldtips for about 2 years now and havent had a problem with them at all.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Spike

Having spoke with a couple of proshop owners, when the arrow is shortened, it has the same effect as stiffening the spline. I've read that when shooting heavier broadheads, with short shafts, it may be better to soften the spline. If a carbon arrow is rated from 45-60 or 55-70, at 29 inchs, then you cut it down to 26.5 or 27, how would it fly with broadhead, if you are "stiffening" it? Thats why I asked about aluminum shafts. There are tons of combinations of thickness and diameter that might let you tune in broadheads better. I know the advantages of carbon, but with a fairly low draw weight and length, might aluminum be more consistent? Just a thought.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM

In the Easton line of arrows, you will be about right for a 400 series carbon arrows at that draw weight and arrow length - depending on whether you cut your shafts to 26", 26.5", or 27". The shorter shafts will be best for the 125 grain heads - longer better suited for the 100 grain heads.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Roskoe

You realy like the axis arrow don't you. I have shot every thing under the sun for arrows about every size of alunminums and about every carbon made. The axis is a great arrow great penetration on game and I can drive nails with them. One of the best arrows out their for hunting.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking this bow is like other Mathews bows with long string. I think those kinds of setups are more prone to string vibration and would benifit from a heavier arrow like a FMJ. I'd start there. Otherwise an aluminum would be great.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: bowdoc1

Roskoe

You realy like the axis arrow don't you. I have shot every thing under the sun for arrows about every size of alunminums and about every carbon made. The axis is a great arrow great penetration on game and I can drive nails with them. One of the best arrows out their for hunting.

the axis is a great huntingarrow, but in mybudget i like the st epics, kindthe axis's little brother

Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Bowdoc - I like everything about the Axis arrows - at least for hunting. Just for fun, I may pick up some Axis FMJ arrows for larger game and give them a whirl. One of my buddies had real good luck with them this year on elk.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

CNY
no matter carbon or aluminum, an arrow spined for a 50 lb bow is spined for a 50 lb bow. I prefer lighter arrows because of the lack of drop, and they really dont lose too much KE, maybe a pound at most. but heavy carbons work as well as aluminums with the added benifit of no creasing, bending, or any other phenominon that is associated with aluminum that affects arrow flight. The easton axis arrows are great because they are exceptionally straight, heavy walled and their small profile makes a for a better flight in wind. All of the KE is directed to a smaller Diameter tip, making for better transfer of energy and, in theory anyway, better penetration. I would have to say the advantages of a good carbon far outweigh anything you are going to gain by going to aluminum. get a good cut on cantact broadhead, or a slick trick and you should be good to go.