Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

aiming without peepsight

Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Default aiming without peepsight

Hi all,
I'll receive my new bow this week and i'm havaing a question. I'm looking forward to shoot like Todd Pringnitz... without a peep (and if someone have the link of is article when he talks about how shoot...)

How do you aim without a peepsight?

You put the string in front of the pins...

Or beside the pins...

Thanks a lot!

Francis

Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Default RE: aiming without peepsight

I like shooting and hunting best without a peep. I've proven to myself many times in the last 35 years or so that a peep dosen't make me more accurate and it can cause problems for me while hunting in varying light conditions.
The method of shooting I like is with a kisser, consisting of a rubber "eliminator button" that is served in place with .018 loop serving. I purse my lips to the kisser and touch the tip of my nose to the string. My sight picture has me looking at the ends of the pins, just on the left side of the string. (I'm right handed) I can actually see a "peep" of sorts between the bridge of my nose and the string with my right eye while at full draw and anchored and ready to shoot. I can vary the size of this "peep" or gap between the string and my nose by my the tilt of my head.

This tells me that when my nose is touching the string and my pursed lips feel right and that "peep" or gap between the string and my nose is the right size,, everything is the same and I have a solid anchor. It sounds like a lot to think of while shooting but it's "automatic" once your form is aquired.

It will take practice but if you want to commit to this shooting style, occassionally take notes of what you're seeing and feeling on your better shooting days. On your "off" days, refer back to your notes for self help. About the only problems I ever have is that I'll notice that I'm shooting to the left an inch or two. That tells me that I'm looking too far past the string and I need to tighten up my sight picture. I think I actually shoot better in low light conditions because of this "tight" sight picture that I strive for. If the sight picture is too dark, I open up a little to see the fiber optic pin and then "darken down" the sight picture to keep shooting straight and not to the left a bit.
Again, it sounds like it takes time to do this but once mastered, it all happens quickly without thinking about it.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM

i dont use a peep site.and i shoot better then some of my friends with peep site.they r just a problem like when it rains an u get a lil drop it peep hole u can give it up u aint going to hit ur target or should i say have less chance.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 AM

Do it however you want, as long as you do it the same way every time. I put the string to the side myself.

Something that will help you learn to shoot without a peep is the Timber Line No Peep. It will help keep your anchor points more consistent.

Paul
Old 12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I tie in two rubber eliminator buttons on the string with serving and then line them up on the pin, you can look on either side of the string this way (which ever you prefer)and itdoes not cut down on light at all and does not take any speed away from the arrow.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on wanting to come to the good side man!! all of the ways thses guys are telling you are awsome, try em out and find out what you like the best I just shoot a kisser and look "through" my string and pins and concentrate on the spot I want to hit. It takes a while but practice alot, do some blind bale work (really will improve your shot)to get your anchor point and form consistant, and you will make your friends with peeps do double takes!!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Do you shoot with both eyes open to see "through" the string?

Francis

P.s Thanks for all your suggestions! ... and that's my 100 message
Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot with the string to the side, but I put it way to the left side of the scope. That way I have a full field of view through the sight ring.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

yes I do. It also allows you to see what is going on around you. The string is so close to your face that it is barely a blur. That is why I suggested some blind bale training. It will let you know where your natural draw is. draw and fire three times with your eyes closed at 10 ft from a target wall. (most pro shops have one) have your archery pro watch so he knows where to install the kisser. then do it three more times parking the kisser in the corner of your mouth. I make sure my mouth is relaxed. because i whole heartedly believe that your concentration is like money. you spend a little on your grip, a little on your form, some on muscle control. the more relaxed you are as a whole, and the less money you force yourself to devote to other things that you think you should be tensing up, the more you have left to concentrate intently on the target. that is why blind training is great. it helps your form become perfect memory so you can dedicate the least amout of concentration to it, do you understand what I mean?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Hi all, I just reveived my bow
My sight aren't set yep, but they are align with my string/rest.
When i draw my bow, i put my nose on le string, put the kisser where it should be... and my sight is way to the right of my string. Is it usual?

Thanks
Francis

Quick Reply: aiming without peepsight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.