Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning question

Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Default tuning question

i am going to the proshop this weekend to have my draw lenght shortend, i will have to have the string twisted so it can be shortend will i have to re tune everything again, or no?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Default RE: tuning question

I would certainly check it after changing something like length.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM

alright that is what i thought, thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aint going to change it much. Seems kind of silly to me. I twist a bow string to bring it into specs, but not really to change my dl. I can twist it along with the cables and not have a tuning issue. More like a site issue.

Then again is a bow ever to the point where no fiddling is required. Never seems to be.Had a Harley once. A buddy kept after me to leave it alone. Just couldn't. Ya know for a short time in it's life I did have it purring so perfectly that it never missed a beat. It idled in perfect rhythm.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shortening the draw by twisting the string can be a good thing. Just be aware that depending on how much it is shortened will also decrease the weight range. If you have the limb bolts backed out any you can always crank them down to increase the weight. If they are all the way in now then you will probably have to live with the weight loss.

Personally, I'll take the loss to optimize the draw length any day.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM

ok i figured that would probaly happend, but like you said i would rather have the right DL then have the couple extra pounds, hey if that is the case i might be able to hold the bow at full draw longer.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I would certianly check everythig after you have shortened the string, check all of your yardagepins or scope marksand tue from there if need be.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Shortening the draw by twisting the string can be a good thing. Just be aware that depending on how much it is shortened will also decrease the weight range. If you have the limb bolts backed out any you can always crank them down to increase the weight. If they are all the way in now then you will probably have to live with the weight loss.

Personally, I'll take the loss to optimize the draw length any day.
JC how much shorter have you shortened one twisting it? How many twist would it take to drop it an 1/8"?

Given the question I'd say this would be his first time trying this otherwise he'd know the results. Give him something to go by. A formula.

Just shortening the string will change the length. It will also change the draw cycle unless the cables are changed as well.Could be good or bad. It often makes my let off shorter and the draw harsher.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:48 PM

I think he is having a shop do it, not doing it himself. There is no doubt he will lose poundage and efficiency, but at least it will fit him better. It should work until he can get something that actually fits him.

I have played with a few bows by changing string length by either twisting them up, or changing the string. Both adding draw length and taking it away.

I have never really seen that many tuning issues with it, they all shot well. I shortened my darton over an inch so my girlfriend could learn to shoot with it. I put a butt load of twists in it and still worked for a starter. It did lower the poundage quite a bit, but that was a good thing for her.

Paul
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I put a butt load of twists in it

Paul
LOL I'll bet you did. I wouldn't have thought you could go that far. Dartons, at least the one's I'm familiar with have longer strings ta boot.

So you like Dartons? Knew there was a reason I liked you.