Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Solo Patriot - The Great, Bad, and the Ugly

Old 01-24-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Solo Patriot - The Great, Bad, and the Ugly

Finally got the chance to put the solo Patriot thru the paces last night.

Here is the great, the bad and the ugly.

The great:
The Solo Pat is MUCH quieter than the DC Pat., and every bit as quiet as the Hoyt Razortech that I shot side by side, same specs, some arrow. I think the Razor has a little more jump to it at the shot. As far as vibration both have zilch – zero – nada – 0.

Speed: DC Pat - 60lbs, 29”, 365 grn. arrow, Loop, no hush kit = 297, 297, 299
Solo Pat at 71 lbs, 29” 365grn. arrow w/ hush kit and loop = 298, 298, 296
Razortech 70 lbs, 29”, 365 grn arrow, loop, peep, leaches = 284, 284, 283

Its plain to see this Solo Pat is smoking the arrows. The draw force on the 70lb Solo is about equal IMO to the draw of the 60lb dual Pat. The valley of the solo drops down easier than my Mathews Feather Max with the Z-cam., and IMO easier than the Legacy.

The Solo speed is equal to a 60 lb Dual and IMO much quieter, and smoother.

This bow shoots em dead nuts also, I found it to be very forgiving and easy to shoot. I can hold this bow back forever, it never wants to creep.

The finish is top notch, great pattern and detail, on par with Hoyt.

The grip is a personal choice, I for one love it and it fits me great, so does the Hoyt for that matter.

The Bad:
There is a mismatch between the module and the cam. There is not only a gap between them but a diff. in radius. It looks like some sloppy machining or design. I do not know if it unique or a common problem, but check it out. It has already put a nick in my cable, and I will keep an eye on it.

The Ugly:
My beloved Feather Max must have a voodoo spell on me, and any new bow I buy.
I took a shot and heard a little noise. I checked my sight, and rest and all was tight. Nocked another arrow and drew back to feel and hear a crunch in the cam. I immediately let down to find one of the module bolts had backed out and gouged the limb. Unreal, just unreal. The bow is probably safe to shoot, but another trip to the dealer. I need a new limb. I also want a new cam or module that fits correctly.

If this bow didn't shoot so sweet, I am inclined to tell bowtech to go shove it. It is obvious to me they were not and are not 100% ready to ship these new bows.

Put aside all the little problems (some not so little) the Solo Pat is at the very top of the ulimate Hunting bow list.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Solo Patriot - The Great, Bad, and the Ugly

Rack-attack,

I sure do appreciate your reports but boy have you had a spell of bad luck. It's good that you've remained objective, you set a good example.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

RA,

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that..It seems if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have none at all with the Bowtechs.

I think BT has some bugs they need to work out ASAP!

BTW..good pics! I want a digital camera!

Old 01-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

RA, You've got mail...
Old 01-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry you got one with troubles. However, I think you will be glad you stuck with it. It doesn't match the DC in speed but what a pleasure to shoot. It draws like 60lbs instead of 70. It absolutely NEVER tries to creep. It feels like I could hold it back with dental floss once it is drawn. It is quiet and you never know when it goes off from a vibration stand point! It has a rock solid back wall. I can't imagine being any happier with a bow than I am with mine!

Protect your hunting rights, "Spay or neuter a liberal."
Old 01-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

RA
How many mirrors have you broken you seem to be havin a lot of trouble with everything you pick up.

But I am 100% positive that BT will take good care of you.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 01-25-2003, 05:25 PM
tm
Fork Horn

"I think BT has some bugs they need to work out ASAP!"
Jeff I couldn't agree more. Good way to become the fastest losing company instead of the fastest growing. But at least they're FAST one way or the other.

Old 01-25-2003, 10:59 PM

Hi,

I'm sure all bow company's have their little problems now and then.

But some comments I heard from people that had the earlier bowtech's called them junk.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:01 PM

sometimes with any bow company you will have a few problems come along. I woudl say they will stand behind it & fix it. almost everything I have heard is positive about bowtech. the ones I have shot have been really nice bows.

Old 01-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took my Dually back to the shop yesterday to have it checked over and do some fine tuning for next week ends winternationals.
The first thing Richard told me was BT are sending new cams, the cable tuners and a new cable for my bow even tho I have not had any of the problems that Rack has had.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice