Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Scope *x ?

Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scope *x ?

I don’t understand how lens are rated as far as 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, ect. I just got a 4x scope and I don’t see that much of a different.Things do not look that much bigger. Is the lens miss marked or is it that I just don’t understand? Help?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope *x ?

The power of the scope is the same as magnification. A 4X (four power) scope magnifiesfour times, and makes the object appearfour times closer than with the naked eye.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 AM

Did you get a clarifier peep? You may need one for a 4x scope.

Paul
Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 AM

yeah, i'd be hesitant to hunt w/ a 4x. you probably need a #1 clarifier peep, and if it gets a drop of water in it you won't see a thing. also, w/ a 4x there's a possibility you'll draw down on a deer and not be able to tell exactly where you're aimed. all you may see is brown.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is definitely such a thing as too much magnification. Even with a rifle you have to fit the power to the hunting conditions.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I’m not using it for hunting, it’s for indoor spots and maybe indoor 3-d. The problem is that I don’t think it’s the right power. How do I check it? And no I dont have a clearafier.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Did you get a clarifier peep? You may need one for a 4x scope.

Paul
You don't need one but it sure helps clear things up. I shot very well without a clearifier with a 4X Boss Scope BUT,

It sure was nice when I added a 2X Lens to my Super Peep.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike:

Scope lenses aren't really measured in powers, they use these numbers to appeal to those of us more familiar with rifle scopes. The proper way to measure a lens is in diopter. The power changes depending on distance from your eye, the only constant is the diopter. To get a true 4x lens, look at the following chart and it will let you know what diopter lens you need to get a true 4x at the distance from the lens to your eye.

Also peep diameter will greatly affect clarity of a lens, just as much as a clarifier lens. I know a LOT of pro's that refuse to use a clarifier lens because they can distort an image if it doesn't come back the same way every time.

The below link will show you what diopter you need to get a true 4x for your setup.

http://www.sureloc.com/faq/diopters.pdf

Hope this helps, and hope you slay some X's with that A7. Sorry I haven't shipped the other string yet, will try to get on top of that this next week.