Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

denatured alcohol

Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Default RE: denatured alcohol

ORIGINAL: wade7575

I was wondering about denatured alcohol.We do not have anything in Canada called that I was wondering if it is the same as menthol hydrate.I know this is not archery related directly.But I was told it is a good cleaner for preping arrow shafts before glueing.
Don't have denatured alcohol in Canada? I could have sworn I used to buy it under that name at Wal-Mart in Edmonton, AB. Maybe I'm mixing things up, it sure has been a while.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: denatured alcohol

I'm with Nodog on this one. I don't put the shafts in the can though, I acttually stole one of my wife's small rose vases. I can soak 6 shafts in it at the same time. I just cut the vanes off with a dull fillet knife, scrape some of the glue off, and then soak them for about 10 minutes in the acetone in tne vase my wife doesn't know I use, then just wipe all the old glue off. Then I wash the shafts off in some warm water with a little dish soap in it and they are ready to go. By the way, I shoot Gold Tips. Iahve both the old black shafts and lots of camo shafts . I have seen guys on this and other forums that said that the acetone would damage the shafts, but the dealer I buy all my shafts from has used Acetone for years on Gold Tips recomendation. I actually called Gold Tip years ago and talked to one of their engineers and he said that what I was doing was perfectly fine. I have been doing it for years and have neverhad a problem. I did buy a bottle of the denatured alcohol to see how it worked and for me there was no comparison between the Caetone and the alcohol. I think the Acetone wins hands down. One note, it is smart to use the thick chemical resistant rubber gloves because the Acetone is some nasty stuff to your liver if absorbed in the skin.