Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anchor in cold weather...

Old 01-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anchor in cold weather...

Last day of bowseason was yesterday here in IL. Had a strange day in the woods, that resulted in no deer (thanks to human intervention at prime times) and a missed 39 yard shot at a 8" bearded Tom.

He was coming my way, but stopped dead in his tracks due to non-hunters trespassing on a neighboring property. His companions started to leave the way they had come, and he was broadside to me, staring at the trespassers, and getting nervous. I took aim, and let sail, missing him cleanly, about 6" left of my aim point. He took two steps, looked around, and waddled off...

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure my left miss was due to a change in anchor point brought about by my wearing a heavy fleece face mask. I had put in on and off as the conditions dictated throughout the day. What do you guys do when your bow is sighted for one anchor, flush to your face, but then you are shooting with a thick face mask? If I sighted the bow when I had the face mask on, I would shoot right without it. Is the best answer practice with both then apply Kentucky windage?
Old 01-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Anchor in cold weather...

Being from DA U.P. I practice with a thick face mask and gloves. It's a lot different!!! I have to cock my head down in order for everything to line up correctly. and with gloves on, I cant feel where I'm at so it's kind of awkward. Also with gloves on it's hard to feel the triger on my release. (I set it a few lbs. heaveir in durring late bow season.)

Gotta practice. Get something that WORKS FOR YOU.

Good luck and happy hunting!

John
Old 01-18-2002, 02:13 PM

Thats what i hate about hunting the late season. All those clothes and face masks can really do a number on your shot. Thats why its important to practice in your hunting clothing.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in very cold weather here in Wisconsin as well. I prefer to wear very warm hats and heavy turtleneck shirts- but leave out the heavy face masks just to avoid the situation you found out for yourself.

You practice all year a certain way and feel- why try and change that in the most crucial moment?

As long as your body and the top of your head are warm, you face will do fine unless there is a very strong bitter wind.

In late season bow hunting we have times where single digit temps are the norm (not this year though.....).

I really like the "Spandoflage" face masks- they are form fitting and don't have to change anything about anchor points or release methods.

Edited by - Black Frog on 01/18/2002 15:34:48