Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what happened to the "overdraw"

Old 11-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Default what happened to the "overdraw"

I have been pondering a question for some time now and cannot seem to figure out the answer myself… so I will pose it to the group.

What has happened to hype of the "Overdraw" since its widespread inception in the 90's with shorter arrows and faster fps.

It seems like they are a thing of the past...is this true because overdraws cannnot be found in a bass pro/ cabelas catalog or really pro shop anymore.In the past most "overdraws" were manufactured by the individual bow manufacturesand in this case the new bows of today (i.e.) Bowtech bows cannot have overdraws.

I guess what I am trying to figure if the technology of the newer bows of today with the smooth cams; med brace height; and graceful shooting ability cannot be enhanced by the extra fps of the "overdraw" (it seems like the overdraw technology has disappeared!) and why do you think the “overdraw” is a thing of the past.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what happened to the "overdraw"

Because over draws are the single best thing to decrease your accuracy and forgeveness of a bow.

The only reason they were invented in the first place is to increase speed but with ultra light weight carbon arrows of today you can get a lighter weight full length carbon arrow to weigh less than an aluminum arrow cut to fit a 6" over draw.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Light carbon arrows and fast bows are what happened to the overdraw. You simply don't need them anymore, especially considering they are harder to shoot well.

Paul
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM

I'm gonna put an overdraw on an Airborne.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:31 PM

I have seen overdraws on recurves back in the 60's when I stated hunting. The reason they had them was not to shoot a faster arrows, but some people shot with a higher wrist and that made there pivot point over there wrist. They would put there arrow rest over the top of there wrist moving back and fort till they found the spot that they didn't shoot lift are right arrows. It really works for some. I know some archers in the 90's that still used them the right way and shot perfect scores indoors and won lots of the big tournaments around the country back than. The bows now day are made for lower wrist and we have are wrist butt right up against the handle and don't have the problem any more. There were lot of so called bowhunter that shot them way over there wrist to get faster arrows, but most of them could shoot that will any way and they used them to get more speed. I have know some that there draw was so long they had to use them too. Their were no compound bows made with a 33 inch draw
Now days we have faster bows, lighter, stronger,and better arrow so we don't need them to gain speed.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Believe it or not, I have to agree with bowdoc on this one. An overdraw does not automatically make a bow less accurate or forgiving. At least, not in my case. I used a short overdraw on my old NFAA field archery bow which allowed me to cut my arrows back from 33 1/2" to 30 1/2" and, once I got it set up, my average scores jumped by a solid 35 points. I went from a high B class shooter to a middle A class, practically overnight.

While faster bows and light carbons might have eliminated the need for overdraws for MOST shooters, long armed sunovaguns like me could still benefit from using them. Put 'em down in the "Special Needs" column.

Low brace height bows would not make very good overdraw candidates though, and getting clearance with bows using high cable guards could also be a problem, so you gotta really think through the total package when considering an overdraw. Very many of the bows they're making nowadays would definitely be problematic, and Hoyt's Tec risers would be impossible to overdraw.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM

Back in the 90's Jennings sent me a new bow to shoot that year that the wooden grip on it that was to high for me. I was on there shooting staff. I didn't take it off like I did most bow and throw it away. I put a over draw on it and went from 300 40 X's to 300 60 X"s with a over draw and won a lot of tournaments that year indoors and out doors