Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Answer a crazy question....

Old 01-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Answer a crazy question....

In Va. the following two restrictions apply to hunting deer with a bow:

1. Arrowhead widths must be at least 7/8 inches wide or expand upon impact to 7/8 inches.

2. Bows must be capable of propelling a broadhead arrow at least 125 yards.

Okay here is the question, using the above criteria what would you think would be a minimum poundage for a bow to shoot the lightest legal broadhead the minimum distance?

This to me seems really weak, but I am no physisist. I know darn well my 70 lb Browning ambush exceeds the minimum by a mile.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-22-2003, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Answer a crazy question....

Several factors here I guess. (bow design, arrow weight, usual stuff) Is that all the regs state about 125 yds? Get on top of a good hill in VA and it'll go alot further! But on level ground, I guess 30 lbs would be near the minimum. It may bounce off the target, but it traveled the requirement. The rule doesn't seem to make much sense to me. But who am I.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

It makes some sense to me. Looks like they're trying to avoid putting a minimum draw weight on the books and have gone for a performance standard instead. After all, which has more energy... A 400 grain arrow out of a 40 pound selfbow or the same arrow out of a 35 pound hatchet cam compound?

It wouldn't make sense to have a 40 pound minimum and say the selfbow was legal when the compound shoots harder, but is not legal.

Edited by - Arthur P on 01/22/2003 10:13:46
Old 01-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Arthur I see where you are coming from, but I really do not feel that this reg is a good one, at best it is some what confusing. I just wonder how many folks are wounding deer due to being underbowed and not knowing it. I can see a novice bow hunter either going to Wally world or mail ordering a 30 pound bow thinking well it will shoot the minimum size arrow the minimum distance so I am sure it will be all I need for deer hunting.

I know there needs to be some sort of standard set as a minimum, and in Va. that is established with the 2 restrictions I copied from the regs, it just surprises me it is that low.

Do you or any one else feel that with a well placed 20 yard shot this would be sufficient to efficiantly harvest deer in a humane manner?

Old 01-22-2003, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Do you or any one else feel that with a well placed 20 yard shot this would be sufficient to efficiantly harvest deer in a humane manner?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Absolutely. I've done it. And with a 1 1/4&quot; wide broadhead to boot.

But that was in the days when most people avoided passthru shots. Accepted wisdom back then was that it was an advantage to keep the broadhead inside the deer's vitals and causing more damage as the animal ran. Now, 40 years later, thinking runs that you must do everything possible to blow completely thru the deer's ribcage. I have to admit that I prefer passthroughs, too. I'd rather have the blood trail than a huge mess to clean out when I find the deer.

By contrast to a setup that meets the minimum requirements, your 70 pound Browning Ambush is cranking out a good bit more KE than the recurve that Fred Bear used to take a 5-ton elephant at 40 yards. Do you need all that energy to make an efficient, humane kill on a 200 pound deer at 20 yards?
Old 01-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good points Arthur and well taken.

Fred Bear....... man what an archer, what a hunter, in my opinion no one today could touch what he accomplished with the same gear he had. The best thing about the man was his ethics and how he represented the sport.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fred Bear was a terrific hunter! What he has done for our sport speaks for itself.

However, if Fred were alive today and took the shots he took at game &quot;back in the day&quot;, he would be shamed off of this forum and labeled as an unethical hunter.

...Oh boy, where did I put my fire extinguisher??!!

Old 01-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good points Arthur and well taken.

Fred Bear....... man what an archer, what a hunter, in my opinion no one today could touch what he accomplished with the same gear he had. The best thing about the man was his ethics and how he represented the sport.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

True, Antler Eater. But thank goodness we had men like Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Glenn St Charles, Ben Pearson and all those other pioneers out there hunting, taking game and proving the effectiveness of archery gear back then so we can enjoy bowhunting today. We're also fortunate that those men wrote and spoke freely about their experiences so that we could learn from them and develop our code of ethics... whatever the heck it might be these days.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Arthur P! I couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: Answer a crazy question....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.