Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Answer a crazy question....

Old 01-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Answer a crazy question....

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

It wouldn't make sense to have a 40 pound minimum and say the selfbow was legal when the compound shoots harder, but is not legal.

Edited by - Arthur P on 01/22/2003 10:13:46
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Exactly! Thats why wisconsin needs to revise their bowhunting regulations. Our current regs state only a minimum of a 35lb pull. Thats horsecrap! A buddy of mine has a homemade longbow that draws 35lbs but has no business even being considered for hunting , but yet it's perfectly legal. There are compounds along with glass limb trad bows that are 25 - 30lb pull and yet they are almost twice as fast and more than capable of killing whitetail size game.

>>>---Doug--->
Old 01-22-2003, 08:38 PM

Great, let's put the whole peace dividend into designing the perfect piece of legal boillerplate that will satisfy every archer's conception of what enough bow is.

If you have a 35 pound bow that isn't any good, don't use it. If you have a 50 pound compound that isn't a humane set-up with a 9 blade expanding broadhead, don't use it.

There are 40 pound hickory selfbows that will passthrough a deer easily. Fiberglass has a lower stiffness to weight ratio than wood, and doesn't produce a harder hitting bow. There are circumstances where glass may outperform, but it isn't always the result.

There probably shouldn't be a cut-off, but if there is going to be one, it might as well be the lowest level that makes sense, not the highest, or you can kiss off a lot of smaller stature folk.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do think there has to be a minimum cutoff because lack of common sense is rampant these days. Why else would they have to put a disclaimer like 'not for human consumption' on a package of stinkbait? Face it. There are some darned stupid people walking around loose and they don't require a minimum IQ for hunting licenses!

I believe the cutoff should be performance based instead of minimum draw weight, but it's easier for game wardens in the field to enforce draw weight minimums.

Old 01-22-2003, 11:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Great, let's put the whole peace dividend into designing the perfect piece of legal boillerplate that will satisfy every archer's conception of what enough bow is.

If you have a 35 pound bow that isn't any good, don't use it. If you have a 50 pound compound that isn't a humane set-up with a 9 blade expanding broadhead, don't use it.

There are 40 pound hickory selfbows that will passthrough a deer easily. Fiberglass has a lower stiffness to weight ratio than wood, and doesn't produce a harder hitting bow. There are circumstances where glass may outperform, but it isn't always the result.

There probably shouldn't be a cut-off, but if there is going to be one, it might as well be the lowest level that makes sense, not the highest, or you can kiss off a lot of smaller stature folk.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

There has to be a cutoff! The guy with the 35lb homemade longbow I spoke of wants to hunt with it. Not everyone has common sense! His bow is made of pignut hickory and while it might be a 35lb draw weight (which is legal in Wisconsin) , it wont even break the 100fps barrier. Take that same 35lb draw weght on a Bear recurve and you've got plenty of bow to hunt with.
No , I dont think a minimum draw weight is a good idea. I think a minimum kinetic energy is a much better idea!

>>>---Doug--->
Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where are the game wardens going to get portable grain scales and chronographs to carry in the field? Or are they going to come get you out of your stand and hike you back to their vehicle to test your bow? Minimum KE is a good idea, but it's unenforceable. And has the potential to be abused. ARA's could raise hell and get it set so high that nobody could draw the bow it would take to meet the requirement.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very true Arthur! It would be hard to enforce. But then again , in all my years of bowhunting I've never once seen a warden checking the draw weight of someones bow either.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:53 PM

Legal Archery Equipment (in Indiana)
Legal equipment includes long bows, compound bows or recurve bows and arrows. The bow must have a pull of at least 35 pounds. Arrows must be tipped with broadheads that are metal, metal-edged, or napped flint, chert or obsidian. Poisoned or exploding arrows are illegal.

I guess each state is different for a reason. (LOL)

&quot;Proud to be an American&quot;