Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much strech in new string

Old 01-22-2003, 04:19 AM

Default How much strech in new string

How much do the new string actually stretch??
How big is influence on acuracy?
How do you componsate?
Old 01-22-2003, 06:00 AM

Default RE: How much strech in new string

This will all depend on the string and bow! It may go as far as an 1/8" in my past experience.
This will effect your accuracy greatly BECAUSE you are no longer in tune The string has stretched and the Nocking point is no longer set!
YOU DON'T! Retune your bow and you should be good to go
AL

Old 01-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much strech in new string

Stretch is one thing. Creep is another. Stretch is where the string lengthens and then snaps back to it's original length. Creep is when the string lengthens and stays. I assume you're asking about creep.

Like littleal said, it depends on the string. It depends on both the material it's made from and how it's made. I've had fastflight creep several inches over the life of a string. I've had less creep from 450+. Most outfits just whip up a string and put it in the package, and they creep a bunch when you put it on the bow. Folks like Winners Choice prestress the string while it's being made and take a lot of the creep out of the string before they ship it out, but you pay a hefty premium for the extra time they put into manufacture.

So, you save some money and have to retune often, or you spend more money, but have fewer tuning sessions.

The number one thing you MUST do when you get your bow tuned is to take some critical measurements. Axle to axle length, brace height, nockset location and the distance from the nockset to your peep sight. When your rigging creeps, having those measurements makes it a lot easier and less time consuming to twist everything back to where it was before.