Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

muzzy broadheads

Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: muzzy broadheads

pound for pound...the best broadhead eva!!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe penny for penny. I just dont get the hype. Started off with them, and used them for years. Also had tuning problems with them for years. Found them to be very fragile, ferrules bending, blades bending, and thats on practice heads, not the actual supplied practice heads but reg. bladed b.h. I pulled my hair out for who knows how long before I figured out that the brand new b.h. I was shooting into my foam target had a tweaked blade and was causing my arrow to fly all over the place. My troubles ended once I stopped shooting them, and yes my bow is tuned perfectly. They are basically the best deal out there for the money, far from the best broadhead though.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I not sure of the exact Muzzy model your useing.

but i use the standard 3 blade fixed chizel tipnoprobs....

'the bladesgo right into the ferrule when i use themyou just have to make sure your putting them in right other wize they dont go in eazy like they should.

there is really no need for a cut on contact headshooting modern compound equip.

they are the best head out there ...its a timetested design that works period. i have no pobs with mine...i replace the blades and use the same ferrule...never destroyed a ferrule yet...jut touch up the chizel point with a stone and slap new bladesin....if you hit major bone like a front shoulder then you will probably bend the ferrule.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

What works good for me is to get one of the blades started in the slot (about half way down the ferrell/shaft) and then get the other one started about half way and then finially the third. Once you have all three blades in about half way gently push them down the rest of the way... Make sure they are all pushed all the way down and they screw on the tip...
thats how i do it too!

also if your broadheads arent flying right its a tuning issue and not the broadheads fault % 99 of the time...chances are you arent shooting the right arrows for your bow...or your setup is off somehow.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Everybody is free to shoot whatever they want. "Best heads out there", Thats a pretty bold statement. I think "Most heads for the money" would be more accurate. 6 for $35 is a good deal, but if I take just one of them out of the box and it wobbles(which at least one of them will) then its a bad deal. If they fly good for you then its a bargain. I'll gladly keep paying $35 for three strykers, that are sharp as scalpels, never wobble, and fly like field points everytime. I shoot a perfectly paper tuned Bowtech allegiance at 70lbs. with acc arrows, what would be the point if I didn't shoot the best heads I could afford. If I owned a ferrari I wouldnt put firestones on iteither. But, to each his own.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

all the deer ive shot at are dead. cant get anybetter than that. but im also very diciplined in my shot selection. i guess not much can go wrong under 25 yards. and at the ideal 15 yards forget about it.

if and when i ever do make a mistake in my shot selection,or form itself... im not gonna blame my Broad head for it.tuning is never an issue durring the hunt if you did yourPreparation before the hunt. and then Pickinga spot, Squeeze, and Hold... during the hunt= dead deer.

ive never had to throw out a ferrule because it didnt spin striat or have blades that werent sharp out of the package...i know many people that use them and never had any problems. thats 100% truth. in my eyes you cant beat them...especially not at the price.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Throw them away. I was using these same heads this year when I shot at a buck and missed this year, piece of garbage blades bend and ips brak off just hitting the ground, what the hell is a broadhead if itshatters on impacting a bone?? By far the phantom is the worse broad head I have ever shot in my life. Im stiucking with my Muzzy MX 4 and Wasp Hammer SST's.

ORIGINAL: The Rev

What's fun is putting on a getting off the bleeder blades on the Muzzy Phantom 220 grain heads... But I still wouldn't use anything else.
ummm hi rock =bone? i don't think so. ive smashed numerous ribs, shoulders femurs and spines with my 4 blade muzzys and NEVER had one i couldnt use again...stop shootin rocks!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM

I must agree the broken sholders I have devestated with a Muzzy 4 blade,have lead to short trailing. The broadhead has always been good after.I did destroy one on a rock tho. I would also agree not all Muzzys fly well. I often find one that doesn't fly. I think it is because of the grind on the tip most often, but once or twice the ferrule was the problem. You know a little wobbly on the spinners. Overall, still a bargain when you find replacement blades.I don't know if they are the best, but I haven't found better heads yet.