Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rage 2 Blade Penetration

Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Rage 2 Blade Penetration

I got a chance to try the Rage 2 Blade broadhead on a 5X5 Mule Deer last night. Buck was slowly walking away at 39 yards - fairly severe quartering away angle - arrowentered just behind the last rib and exited just in front of the opposite shoulder. The arrow must have hitsome bone right at the end, because it kicked up at about a 45 degree angle upon exiting -but onlyflew about 20 feet. Deer ran about 50 yards, stopped, and started wobbling .

This is better penetration than what I would have expected from this broadhead on such a severe angle. And the head looks like it could be re-used by just replacing the blades.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Rage 2 Blade Penetration

Back a few years ago berrie talked me into using one of his new heads the called it the Rocky Mountain gator and it done the same thing to me. I shot a bull at 40 yards about three ribs in broad side and the arrow came out behide the last rib on the other side and went fying. It had a 2 inch cut kill the bull dead. but I didn't like it changing angle on me. It had floating blades and opened like the Rage.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:58 PM

This head deserves more testing . . . I kinda wanted to try it on deer before something larger, like elk.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like it did the job but i'm just a little leary about shooting mech's at anything other than deer sized game. Just assume Muzzify the big stuff. The montec which i see is what you currently shoot is what i would stick with for the bigger game. O yea, pics of this mule deer?!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

i agree, but if ur bow is shooting heat...u cnt beat some of the mech for opening
up and bleeding animals. i shoot muzzy..and slick tricks..i do have some mechs that i
have never used
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love those Gators, as far a mechanicals go. They are stronger than the rage heads open very fas and work well. It's funny how the snypers and rage 2 blades are so popular and the gators are almost a think of the past. The gators are a superior in almost every way, but they were way ahead of there time.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM

I shot one bull and two deer that year with the gators. Killed thing dead the best penetration I got with them has on the bull at 40 yards it was a pass through. On the deer the penetration sucked it sounded like i was hit a borad when it hit and not going through. I will admit they did kill the deer dead big hole, but I love pass throughs, so I have never used them agian and I have about 10 new ones of then some were too in my archery junk and I have a lots of what I call archery junk