Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

proper way to setup / adjust new rest

Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Spike

Default proper way to setup / adjust new rest

Hey guys, very newbie to bow'shere. I got measured out at the shop and got a free bow from a friend with the same specs so it does fit.

I just purchased a (whisker biscuit?) rest from dicks and put it on. Everything seems to be shooting good but I'm just curious on how to properly set it up. I know a trip to the pro shop is in the future but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

The thing is adjustable up and down and it can tilt back and fourth. Is the rest supposed to be straight up like this "|" or tilted back like this "/" I would think it should be straight but then why would it be adjustable?

Since I changed the rest do I have to change the nocking point?

The bow seems to be shooting good, I can hit a 3" circle at 20 yards. Just want to know if it's right.

thanks.

If you have a close up of your bow with a arrow nocked using a whisker please post.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: proper way to setup / adjust new rest

ORIGINAL: eagleye

Hey guys, very newbie to bow'shere. I got measured out at the shop and got a free bow from a friend with the same specs so it does fit.

I just purchased a (whisker biscuit?) rest from dicks and put it on. Everything seems to be shooting good but I'm just curious on how to properly set it up. I know a trip to the pro shop is in the future but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

The thing is adjustable up and down and it can tilt back and fourth. Is the rest supposed to be straight up like this "|" or tilted back like this "/" I would think it should be straight but then why would it be adjustable?

The rest (and I'm, assuming you're referring to the bristle part) should be "|" 90° to the arrow. Just set it up so the arrow is in-line with the hole in the riser that the WB mounts to (arrow 90° to string to start with). Then proceed to tuning your set-up. I prefer to use the Easton tuning guide that can be downloaded from the Easton web site.

Since I changed the rest do I have to change the nocking point?

The bow seems to be shooting good, I can hit a 3" circle at 20 yards. Just want to know if it's right.

thanks.

If you have a close up of your bow with a arrow nocked using a whisker please post.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Spike

"The rest (and I'm, assuming you're referring to the bristle part) should be "|" 90° to the arrow. Just set it up so the arrow is in-line with the hole in the riser that the WB mounts to (arrow 90° to string to start with)."

Thanks thats the info I was looking for, if it's always "|" then why does the bristle part tilt forward or back?

thx again. I want to learn as much on this bow before I get a good one.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Its able to be tilted forward and back so you can adjust for different heights for different bows. As you adjust the angle and height of the mounting bracket (part that bolts to the bow), you need to adjust the biscuit so it is straight up and down.

Also another thing to check is your centershot, the left and right position of the rest. To check and set this I usually nock and arrow and put it in the rest, then line the string up with the center of the riser and see if the arrow is pointing left or right of the string. If it is then adjust the rest so the arrow is lined up. This is your starting point and usually very close, from there you need to walkback tune to find and set your true centershot.

Hope this helps you out a little more.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Spike

Yes, thank you guys!!