Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead planing issues...

Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Broadhead planing issues...

I'm trying to get my magnus stingers to group. About every 3-5 shots, I get a flyer. Generally impacts high. I weeded out one bad arrow that was throwing off even field points. They spintest just fine-zero wobble. I'm using 4" feathers fletched helical and a drop away rest. I'm also testing Wasp Boss broadheads and they are absolutely dead on. I don't want to give up completely on the Stingers, but I might set them aside for this season and use the Wasps. Should I try 5" feathers, different arrow, any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead planing issues...

Number your arrows so you can tell which one does what. The flyer may be an arrow with a questionable spine and by numbering them you'll be able to tell if the flyer is always the same arrow. Do you spintest with the broadheads on? If so, did the broadhead point stay in the same place? I mark an index card and hold it at the broadhead tip to see if the tip "wobbles". If it does wobble you may need to square off the insert or you can try a different broadhead on that arrow. It may be a broadhead that is causing the flyer.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Number your arrows so you can tell which one does what. The flyer may be an arrow with a questionable spine and by numbering them you'll be able to tell if the flyer is always the same arrow. Do you spintest with the broadheads on? If so, did the broadhead point stay in the same place? I mark an index card and hold it at the broadhead tip to see if the tip "wobbles". If it does wobble you may need to square off the insert or you can try a different broadhead on that arrow. It may be a broadhead that is causing the flyer.
I figure out my "flier" arrows exactly as you described. The only time I do spintest is with broadheads. I cannot yet, pinpoint the offending broadhead and/or arrow. I don't know how to square off an axis arrow. I just assume the bad arrow will forever be used for target practice only.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure the arrows are spined correctly for the bow?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Are you sure the arrows are spined correctly for the bow?
According to OnTarget! 2, I'm in the green but heading towards the weaker side. Easton Axis Obsession arrows cut to 25", 100grain points, 4" feathers. Bow's a Bowtech Equalizer @50lbs and 25" draw.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:41 PM

on target? where are you located?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: skipperfishflipper

on target? where are you located?
I assume you mean on the spine chart. Barely on the green. If I take the weight off the string, then I'm in the weak category. I arbitrarily put down 20grains total weight on the string since I have no idea how much a string loop and a Fletcher peep weighs.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't say what spine you are shooting and I don't know or care what OT2 says. I say 500 spine and am just drawing that from my little pea size brain.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

You didn't say what spine you are shooting and I don't know or care what OT2 says. I say 500 spine and am just drawing that from my little pea size brain.
Yes, they would be the 500's.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

One high on every 3-5 shots usually means one thing, and one easy fix....

STOP PULLING YOUR SHOTS.

Its that simple (or should I say complex) really.

If you are like most bowhunters are, you probably come from the bottom up on targets. You learned to draw a line up the back of the off front leg... and thats good.. thats what you should be doing. But, what you are likely doing is freaking out and having trouble getting your bow arm up and trusting the float so to speak, and jerking your arm up and punching the trigger at the same time.

Don't take this the wrong way... heck I still do it all the time. Everyone pulls a couple now and then. One in every 3-5 is the shooter... happens to all of us... if all the rest of your shots are money... theres really nothing else it could be but you.

Quick Reply: Broadhead planing issues...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.