Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Broadhead planing issues...

Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 AM

Default RE: Broadhead planing issues...

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

One high on every 3-5 shots usually means one thing, and one easy fix....

STOP PULLING YOUR SHOTS.

Its that simple (or should I say complex) really.

If you are like most bowhunters are, you probably come from the bottom up on targets. You learned to draw a line up the back of the off front leg... and thats good.. thats what you should be doing. But, what you are likely doing is freaking out and having trouble getting your bow arm up and trusting the float so to speak, and jerking your arm up and punching the trigger at the same time.

Don't take this the wrong way... heck I still do it all the time. Everyone pulls a couple now and then. One in every 3-5 is the shooter... happens to all of us... if all the rest of your shots are money... theres really nothing else it could be but you.
Sounds good, but why is it that I miraculously somehow stop pulling shots when I screw on a field point or a Wasp Boss?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Sounds good, but why is it that I miraculously somehow stop pulling shots when I screw on a field point or a Wasp Boss?

Different broadheads react to different things differently. Wow, thats a mouthful...

What I mean by that is if you have a longer broadhead, such as those stingers you mentioned, they can infact be MORE subject to minor flinches or form techniques. Same goes for clearance issues or unsquare arrows. Just like some bows are easier to shoot than others, some broadheads are easier to get good flight out of than others. Muzzy's for example, are one of the hardest broadheads to consistant, good arrow flight from. Reason being that the trocar tip is very heavy. If you're form is decent, your arrows not spined right, your arrows not squarely cut, and if you get just the smallest amount of wiggle in them... that extra weigth way out front is going to cause you some real headaches. I'm not knocking muzzy's, they are awesome... but that is one of their weakest points. If you get them flying good, then you can usually get almost anything flying good.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Different broadheads react to different things differently. Wow, thats a mouthful...

What I mean by that is if you have a longer broadhead, such as those stingers you mentioned, they can infact be MORE subject to minor flinches or form techniques. Same goes for clearance issues or unsquare arrows. Just like some bows are easier to shoot than others, some broadheads are easier to get good flight out of than others. Muzzy's for example, are one of the hardest broadheads to consistant, good arrow flight from. Reason being that the trocar tip is very heavy. If you're form is decent, your arrows not spined right, your arrows not squarely cut, and if you get just the smallest amount of wiggle in them... that extra weigth way out front is going to cause you some real headaches. I'm not knocking muzzy's, they are awesome... but that is one of their weakest points. If you get them flying good, then you can usually get almost anything flying good.
I see what your saying and agree 100%. What form or tuning flaws I could get away with using field points or smaller broadheads the Stingers won't tolerate.
I think this season I'll press the "Easy Button" and stick with the more forgiving Wasp heads for now.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that would be a good idea. I tell ya. I've been shooting and hunting for 35 years now with a bow. Things have improved over that time technologically, but it reaches a point where many times "the latest and greatest" just isn't that much ebetter than what's already on the market. If you have something that works well and you have confidence in it then just go ahead with it.

What really perlexes me is the exhorbitant prices broadheads are grabbing these days. Totally uncalled for, but the buying public is always looking for some magic fix to their shooting problems when the real fix is most often poor shooting form or lack of proper tuning.

So long as a broadhead flies well and is sharp as can be I worry more about how well the blades are retained in the ferrule should bone magically get in the way. I've lost blads in an animal before and it gets a little scary removing the entrails knowing there's a razor blade somewhere in there.

I see what your saying and agree 100%. What form or tuning flaws I could get away with using field points or smaller broadheads the Stingers won't tolerate.
I think this season I'll press the "Easy Button" and stick with the more forgiving Wasp heads for now.