Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fall away rest not falling away in cold

Old 01-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Spike

Default fall away rest not falling away in cold

i went out hunting the other day and the temp was about 10 degrees. i stayed out for about 6 hours and about the 4th hour i decided to pull my bow back just to loosen up a little and i noticed that when i let off on the bow my drop away rest didn't drop. then i took the arrow off the rest and just used my finger to move it up and down and it wouldn't want to go on its own. i was moving it up and down with my hand to loosen it up some but it wasn't normal. when i got home and my bow warmed up some it started to work fine. now is this normal for the drop away rests to not drop away in the extreme cold. oh, i am using a tiger tuff drop away. thanks.

kevin
Old 01-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: fall away rest not falling away in cold

I've never used that rest, but if it happened to me I'd dump it in a second cold or no cold. I use a nap 2000 fallaway rest and have been down to 10deg with no problem. Are you sure somehow it did'nt get wet. elknut1.

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-20-2003, 06:22 AM

I'm not familiar with that rest either, but if it was mine..."wave bye bye to the non-functional rest kids"! Strap on a Muzzy!

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-20-2003, 03:05 PM

Yep, Kelly is right, with the muzzy that would not happen because it is a driven away rest, not a drop a way. If it does not go down you have serious problems.

Paul
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Spike

i think i know what it was guys, i did a little inspection and i took the spring out and there was tons of lube or oil on it. so i'm guessing that some of it froze up and then limited its movement. so i cleaned off as much as i could and went hunting yesterday. the temp was little below 20 and no problems. i'll stay with it for now but if it happens again, see ya. so the muzzy zero effect works pretty well huh??? i've never see it in person. thanks again.

kevin
Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 AM

What are you using now Kevin? The Muzzy is sweet, but it was my first choice for a drop. I don't know that I'd buy one if I already had a drop away that worked pretty well. But coming from a TM hunter style, I'll never go back!

Trushot }}------>
Old 01-21-2003, 09:27 PM

On another forum, GKF, et al, questioned why Muz wanted to put his rest through very harsh freezing environmental testing to see if it still worked. Since it is a 'driven' rest, it did at all temperatures tested. I guess what you just experienced gives credit to Muz' testing.

My MZE worked well tonight on deer #18 at about 18 degrees.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:22 AM
Spike

i have a tiger tuff fall away rest and the tension to bring down the rest is a spring. i pretty sure i fixed my problem but when i go out to the harrisburg show i am going to take a look at the muzzy rest. maybe i'll pick one up.

kevin