Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

back tension release

Old 01-17-2002, 09:08 PM

Default RE: back tension release

thanks shane
?for ya. my wifes uncle lives there he's a retired dentist {wallace} did you meet?
Old 01-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

c4extrem, I already have a 4runner, though not a carbon one. Super fast!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:08 AM

<font color=green> WHY the need for a back tension realease? you can use any old release as a backtension release!!</font id=green> Dee Wilde uses a wrist strap release and a back tension style, he is a world champ.

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-18-2002, 07:24 AM

Carter has a new release out called the Solution 2 -- pictures are now on the website. It has a safety and travel that always the same once the safety is released. It is not excessively long either. I would like to try one out.

I have used Stans (really like the Sahara), Carters, and Zeniths for pure BT releases and I use a TruBall XTreme (thumb).

Some people can't have a tough time shooting a wrist stap release with BT and easily revert to punching and such. For every pro out there who uses a wrist stap, there is a pro using a pure BT release and several using thumb trigger releases using BT. Also many pros practice with pure BT releases. I have a video of a shoot-off between Jeff Hopkins (thumb trigger), Randy Ulmer (pure BT), and Collin Boothe (wrist strap). So to each his own. Personally, I have trouble getting a good anchor with a wrist stap release, but I can shoot one.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:46 AM

zenith with the clicker all the way!
Old 01-18-2002, 10:07 AM

I love my TRU Ball sweet spot (ultra 4). I especially like the safety feature as I am just learning BT and I make enough mistakes to trigger the other style BT releases on the draw... I've tried a bunch of them. With a safety I can forget about all that and concentrate on my shot. It does add a step to my sequence but I am not too bothered by that as my sequence has been evolving until recently so it didn't feel 'weird' to have to take the safety off.

_________
SuperX
Old 01-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

RobVos is right on.
That's why people should learn to use a TRIGGERLESS BT release.The Carters and Truballs thumb models are fine releases,but when you have that trigger on them it doesn't take long for some to want to start punching again or anticipating the shot going off.
Also the comment earlier about Dee Wilde using a wrist strap trigger release is true,but you can bet he has spent countless hrs with a true BT release.
Any release can and should be shot with pure BT but it will take time and dicipline to do it correctly.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:30 PM

Looks like this is a good topic
I did go with the stan mirage
thanks again for all the feedback

Big Country same spec -16oz
@63# 28&quot;arrow 327gr 304fps 493gr 257fps
Old 01-18-2002, 07:26 PM

I don't understand the punchin problem, maybe it's just me but I have no problems putting down my recurve, picking up someone's compound with the same draw and shooting a wrist strap with backtension. This isn't ment to offend anybody, but stop thinking so much, that is what causes a release punch, you start thinking and you don't stay relaxed, archery is very instintive, this is why I find that pure stick shooters have advantage over us, because it's all about the body and muscle memory, not sites, no release, a stick shooting a stick. www.truball.com has a very insightful read out on back tension by Larry Wise. From my experience, I have seen backtension releases make some peoples target panic worse, especially when you punch yourself in the lip with one. I agree with thumb or pinky triggers, just not much for a release that makes up its mind before you do.
Good shooting.
Dylan

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;--------o--&gt;

Edited by - 55#recurve on 01/18/2002 20:32:32
Old 01-18-2002, 09:25 PM

I like to shoot a wrist release with BT. But that doesn't make the &quot;real&quot; BT releases (ones without any seperate trigger element) are irrelevant. They have the best surprise release going, that is why people punch themselves - I don't know about you guys, but that would come as a surprise to me. The key with the Stans is to basicaly just pull them with the index finger, until you are good to go. I found I could occasionaly blow them, when shooting heavier bows, which is why I prefer the wrist releases for work. I think the stans are the best for training. They have to be shot well, just as you would have us shoot, Dylan. And for a few bucks I can afford to have them in the bag. Just be sure to get the stans that are unstable. There are some with a loop behind the moon fitting, and they look as though they would be powerful on the draw, but they don't upset as you would like them to do. Trball makes a great release, including some odd pure release. If they have a trigger, they ain't real back tension releases any more than a Mongoose.

Quick Reply: back tension release

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.