Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I was wondering if has any good tips on cutting arrows.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Default I was wondering if has any good tips on cutting arrows.

I'am going to start to make my own arrows and was wondering if anyone has some good tips on cutting carbon shafts.I have a dremel tool and was thinking of making jig of some sort to cut them square.I do not want to spend the money on an arrow saw when I have a tool that would work fine if I could figure out some way ofmaking a jig or fixture to hold them so I can cut them square.I was thinking of trying to get the muonting rings from a dremel tool drillpress and use those to mount the dremel to something flat and make a sliding jig that would hold the shaft while I pushed it into the cut off wheel.If anyone knows of a better and cheaper way to cut shafts please let me know.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I was wondering if has any good tips on cutting arrows.

i was thinking of the same thing so i did some searches on a few forums and alot of guys used a mini chopsaw from harbor frieght... i just picked one up today for 25 bux..and tested it on a carbon goldtip arrow that i split a while ago.. thing works like a champ!!!!!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42307

thats the saw i picked up.. a guy at work told me he used a VERY sharp pipe cutter and worked well..but just gotta go very slow when you cut

this saw works really well.. tested it about 10 times (cut off 1/4" off the bad arrow) and every time it cut really well.. very clean cut

hope this helps!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM

I use a Dremel tool with a diamond cut off wheel to cut arrows.I mount the Dremel in the tool post of a 40" lathe, and insert the arrow in a collet. The lathe turnsCW and the Dremel cuts it like butter. Not sure if there is any more precise way to do this.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Dremel should work fine, but that is one sweet saw, Shott! I may have to pick one up.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Harbor Freight Mini chop saw. It does the job and is affordable.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

I've got the same chop saw with the same intentions, it does work my only suggestion is that the saw tooth blade be replaced with an abrasive type blade like an arrow saw uses. It makes a little cleaner cut, but make sure it's rated for that type of RPM's if not it will explode on you, I've had it happen to me using an air cutoff tool one of those wheels came apart an put a pretty cool hole in my arm....cool scar but it sure sucked when it happened! Also make sure the shaft is square w/ the blade, or you could even get the G5 A.S.T. (arrow squaring tool) to make sure the shafts are perfect otherwise it may affect arrow flight.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Great thats the what I need now all I have to do is call them and hope they ship to Canada.Thanks for the help shot.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

i think you can order online.... i cant remember.. we got 3 of them in rochester so i normall dont have an issue..

wade if you have problems with getting it.. lemme know.. im sure we can work something out...
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM

I just called them and they ship to Canada.Can you tell me what type of blade you use,would a die grinder cut off wheel work.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I know you aren't asking me what type of blade i use, but I use the one that came with it and if you take your time with the cut and don't rush it, it works great. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I was wondering if has any good tips on cutting arrows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.