Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Archery Shop Question

Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Archery Shop Question

Hey guys.... what all do you need to know for working in a Pro-Shop?

I am asking this because I want to learn everything I don't know!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Archery Shop Question

Just what comes to mind:

Serve something into the string (peep, loop, silencers)
Tie in a string loop
Installation and removal of brass nocks
Correct procedure for pressing a bow without bending the riser
Measure for correct draw length
Check and set draw weight and length
Check cam timing
Set up a rest / sight on a new bow
You should know bow tuning backwards and forwards (what causes what symptoms and the remedies)
Be able to change a string and/or cables
Be able to provide some rudimentary instruction on shooting form
Cut arrows and install inserts
Old 10-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Building arrows. Fletching, wrapping, cutting...gluing inserts, be able to determine correct spine and know the weights of the brands you carry. Be able to provide assistance to those looking for the right arrow for whatever application they intend to use them for.

Don't be afraid to be wrong once in a while, and be friendly.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 AM

Learn to make quality custom strings, and you can become a valuble asset to a shop. It's not difficult, but you do need to learn some key points. Very few archery shops can provide this service, yet there is a distinct demand for it. A lot of the other stuff, you can learn on the job without too much difficulty. Of course, the more you know going in, the easier it is to get hired.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with Straightarrow. Know as much as you can going in, but remember, you will never know everything. Don't be afraid to admit that and seek out answers and you should go far. Don't ever "make up" an answer because you were afraid to say "I don't know". (And, never say "I don't know" but always "I don't know, but I will find out".)
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

dont tell a customer something that he "wants to hear" ...and follow through on services...

had a proshop working on getting me warrentied limbs for my reflex for about 3 weeks now.. pretty sure it shouldnt take that long..needless to say im not goin through them idiots.. even if they do get my limbs in.. they are just gonna hve a set of limbs theyll have to use on someone else bow..

Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Measure, cut, wrap, fletch, insert, arrows.
Install accessories properly
Set center shot
Change draw lengths... even on bows that are 30+ years old.
Completely take a bow down to nuts and bolts and put it back together properly.
Change strings and cables
Possibly build a string and/ or cable

And a million other little things but the vast majority of it will consist of arrows, changing strings and cables, and setting bows up for customers properly.

Shott8283, that's pretty crappy on your part if you haven't followed up with the shop. Sometimes it can and does take a few weeks to get ina set oflimbs. Especially if it is an older bow. Unfortunately manufacturers don't always have every single limb laying around ready to go. Many times they have to take an unfinished limb, dip and print the logo on it before they ship it out. PSE does this a lot.

And then sometimes we just flat out forget. Remember that pro shop people are human too and to sit there and call them idiots isn't going to accomplish anything. CauseI assure you that if they did, in fact, order your limbs and you do what you said they aren't going to want to help you when you need something in the future. It's a two way street.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chase;

Honestly, all you need is to know your limitations, admit what you don't know, and show up on time. A good pro can teach you just about everything you will need to know. You are fairly young, so most shops really aren't going to expect you to know a heck of a lot. Don't worry about it, you have learn it somewhere.

I started in a gun shop that had a bit of archery stuff, and an old Navy chief who was strictly archery. He was a pain in the butt to work with, but he was pretty knowledgeable. A few of your customers to (the good ones) will also show you some things, especially when you want to learn.

I found that as long as I kept a good attitude, paid attention, and was honest with myself and my customers about my abilities, I had no issues at all. You likely won't start out tuning bows in the pro shop. I suspect you will be stocking and running the register. But, put your time in and work hard, you'll get to learn all the good stuff too. Just don't start tinkering with stuff you can't afford, and don't get in to something over your head. Honesty is the key to being successful.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing, most of the responses above are pretty graduate level. There will be someone there (likely) that will do all that stuff. The very basics that I would expect someone to know who was coming to work with/for me would be this (if not, you should be taught it very quickly):

1) How to properly measure draw length, and identify when a bow fits or does not fit someone properly

2) How to press a bow correctly, without damaging it (it doesn't take much... trust me).

3) How to use the basic tools of a bow tech (levels, squares, center shot tools, serving tools etc)

4) A few basic knots... everyone does stuff differently, and your pro will show you how he wants it done. Just listen to him.

5) How to properly care for a bow (waxing string, even turns on draw weight adjustment)

6) Here is a big one; how to select the proper arrow... spine, weight, price.. the whole deal. And also how to measure, cut and install inserts. Its really cake to do, but if you mess it up.. its litterally a mess and you will have one hot customer.