Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock Location?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Nock Location?

Is the nock location such that when the arrow is on the string, it is in the exact middle of the string or can it be anywhere near the middle...within reason? I know that it may be bow specific. The reason I ask is because I need to raise my rest a little higher, but the only way to keep the arrow square is to raise the nock point from the factory settings. Is this OK?

Paul
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nock Location?

If you take a tape and measure from axle to axle and mark the physical center of the string, then use a bow square to split the berger hole, you'll see for yourself that that rest mounting hole and your center mark are not in the same place. To my knowledge there is not a bow made that mounts a rest so as to have the nocking point physically centered on the string. It's always somewhere just above center. How far just depends on which bow.

Why do you need to raise the rest? If you need to to get broadhead or fletching clearance for the shelf then by all means do so. As you are saying, you'll have to raise the nocking point (loop) a like amount to keep the arrow square. But you may need to tweak your tune a bit.

Don't forget that if everything on the string is set up for you then you'll most likely need to raise a kiieer button and peep the same amount. The sight too, but this can be done by shooting the bow and gang adjusting the whole sight, if you're using pins.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM

The reason for raising the nock location is because my QAD rest seems to be hitting the shelf and not falling down all the way. If I raise it any higher though, then the arrow is not sitting square to the string, hence the need to raise the nocking point. I just wanted to make sure that doing so is OK.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on the bow , if a compound , the nock is nowhere near the center of the string , usealy a couple inces high , slightly abouve level with your rest mounting screw
Old 10-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 95AGGIE

The reason for raising the nock location is because my QAD rest seems to be hitting the shelf and not falling down all the way. If I raise it any higher though, then the arrow is not sitting square to the string, hence the need to raise the nocking point. I just wanted to make sure that doing so is OK.
OK, so move the rest and nocking point up together. Move the accessories on your string the same amount. Then make sure you move the cord on your down cable that activates the rest the same amount. Double check the rest timing to make sure it comes up and drops soon enough that you're getting fletching clearance. Once that's done then check the tune of the bow/arrow combination. The tune may not change, but you need to check it. If this is OK then make sure you're sight pins are still on.

Just be sure to be a little meticulous and take your time. Be methodical. Everything should work out OK.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Agreed with above post...you'll be fine. I had to do it on my x-force to get my QAD to drop completely flat..i guess either the berger hole is low on these or the shelf is high.. but the center of my arrow is in line with the top of my berger hole....and my nock is approx 1/4" up from parallel....and the bow shoots great.