Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

holding weight

Old 01-14-2003, 10:42 PM

Default holding weight

I am looking into a new Bowtech, and was wondering what would be better for me? I am not real steady at full draw with holding weight, so what would be best for me to get the dual cam patriot, or the single cam patriot? The question is about the let-off? Would it make a big difference in the way i hold the bow steady?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: holding weight

I have found that I can hold the Dual Cam Patriot steadier than I can the Single cam.
mainly because with the single there is not that much holding weight at full draw there for I tend to relax a little too much.
With the Dual cam I am holding a little more weight at full draw but not that much more so I tend not to relax as much thus holding steadier.
Does this make sense

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 01-15-2003, 11:09 AM

While there are lots of approaches most archers (or is it just me) seem to like the wall on modern bows. This is a point where the drawlength appears to bottom out solidly. By pulling against this wall, it shouldn't mater what the holding weight is, since you are pulling through to whatever degree of resistance seems solid.

While there are some dual cam devotees here (I own two) single cams have generally proven a lot less trouble relative to timing. It may be that Bowtech has this problem licked either with adjustable cables, or better cables (two systems imply to me they are searching), but it is an advantage of the single cams I know that they don't have this problem, and that minus the adjusters, you don't need a press to tune them just so. For mega great big bertha super tuning, fiddling with dual cam timing may be just the thing. I don't miss it.

There is probably no problem greater than being overbowed as far as killing your accuracy potential. One of the problems with it is that most people seem prone to being overbowed, and other than the fact one isn't shooting up to one's potential, people do not seem to diagnose the problem. High let-off bows do not cure being overbowed, lower peak draws, or total energy stored bows do.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:03 PM

Thanks u guys I just always settle right below the bullseye and cannot seem to pull it up that is why i was wondering about the holding weight. I was thinking it would help me hold steadier with less weight, but ausie says he holds steadier holding a lil more. So I guess i will have to shoot both bows.

Thanks