Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

muzzy tuning problems

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Default muzzy tuning problems

hey guys i shoot a hoyt trykon and just picked up a pack of muzzy 3 blade 100 grain and cant get them to fly right i think alot of it is because i shoot axis arrows and you cant tune the broadheads to feathers because the inserts are apozyed in any suggestions
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: muzzy tuning problems

Yup, your in trouble, if your bow is matched to your arrows and your bow is tuned it comes down to the arrows. It's not an issue of tuning them to the feathers as you put it. I assume you mean align the blades to the feathers and that is IRRELEVANT. Does not matter.

More importantly is to tune your inserts to the shaft ie, making sure they are aligned with no wobble. Spin check each arrow with a Muzzy installed. If there is wobble, that is an issue. If there are no wobble at all, then the tuning issue falls back to the bow.

Also, are your feathers helical or offset and not just straight?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:32 AM

my vanes are just offset i would say i had a pro shop do them for me you think blazer vanes would make any difference i shoot 4 inch vanes as of right now thank you
Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoytmanpa

my vanes are just offset i would say i had a pro shop do them for me you think blazer vanes would make any difference i shoot 4 inch vanes as of right now thank you
Never had a problem with 4" vanes and broadheads. I will say however, that the muzzy's haven't flown as well as some other heads I've shot around with the past couple years.

Those Trykons were tough on the factory cables. Have your timing checked at a shop, shoot through paper etc. then try them again. Of course if you have other heads flying well, and the muzzy's don't cooperate, ditch 'em.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM

thanks alot when you say trykons have alot of problems with the cables what do you mean because the serving on my one cable started to seperate and it was reserved at my proshop'? is that what you mean and to do you like g5 tekans
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot axis arrows with 5 inch feathers and muzzy 100 grain 3 blades , excelent flight , and hit with my field tips .

There are tons of variables that can make that not happen , if you list all your specs someone might be abil to point you in the right direction in solveing the puzzle .
Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoytmanpa

thanks alot when you say trykons have alot of problems with the cables what do you mean because the serving on my one cable started to seperate and it was reserved at my proshop'? is that what you mean and to do you like g5 tekans
Yea, that's what I was referring to. I had to have mine reserved afer a few days of shooting.Me, and some other guys had some stretching issues with them after exposing them to weater, such as rain, heat etc. A good set of aftermarket strings will minimize that issue.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if it holds water or not but a long time bow shooter at a pro shop who was known as someone who knows, told me when shooting 3 balde fixed broadheads to always shoot them with 2 blades up and one blade straight down. Like I said not sure how technically correctthis is but I have always done it and so far have never had a problem with any of my 3 blade fixed broadheadsflying erratic and I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:30 PM

I shoot the STAxis arrows with 2" Blazers, and the Muzzy broadheads fly very well. Particularly the 75 grain original Muzzy. Maximum offset on the fletching jig.