Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews string question.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Mathews string question.

I'm thinking of getting a new Mathews Legacy and have been hearing about how Mathews strings stretch and the bow must then be retuned. Is it worth the extra cost to get the Tigertwist string initially instead of the Zebratwist, or should I just get a Winners Choice string in the beginning. I don't want a string that will stretch and then I have to retune, I'd like to get it with a string that won't stretch and be done with it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:37 AM

Default RE: Mathews string question.

What will you use the bow for?

If you just hunt the stock string will work just fine.You will want to replace it every couple of years to be safe.

If you target shoot you may want to consider a string made with high quality materials "IE: Winners Choice". During 3d Season I shoot my bow every weekend and twice a week. This is a lot of shooting for a stock string to handel. And I was unhappy with the stock string after 2 weeks. The string does not have to be a winners choice but it should be made of 8125 material and be prestreched.

Old 01-14-2003, 10:05 PM

The bow will be used strictly for hunting but I will be doing alot of backyard shooting as well. I just really wanted to know if it's worth the extra expense of upgrading the string when I first get the bow in order to prevent some of the headaches of having to retune so often due to string stretch. Also is the Tigertwist string a good choice or would a Winners Choice be a better one, Thanks.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:56 AM

Do you have a contact for Winner's Choice strings? It's time to change the string and cable on my Mathew's and I didn't care for the Zebra Twist.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I had a string stretch problem with every Zebra twist string I have had. They seem to continually creep. The Winners Choice is the way to go IMO, they will hold a tune and absolutely will not creep after being shot in (around 50 shots for mine) and you will never have a peep rotation problem. Mine have not changed after thousands of shots and a years time. I can't comment on the Tiger Twist as I have never used one before.

I would do the opposite of Grndzer. I would have my hunting rig set up so I never have to worry about tune, this is where the Winners Choice string/cable shine. I shot in my string and cable, put one twist in the cable to get it back in time (my cam has timing marks) and haven't touched it since. I check it on occassion, but have not had to change anything. The 3D/target rig is the one you will be tinkering with the most and tweeking the string/cable will be just another one of the tweeks you'd do on a consistant basis.

I guess I can't really see the point of paying $600+ for a bow, only to have to continually tweek the string/cable or change the string/cable at a $100+ expense to ensure it holds a tune. I know guys do it all the time and don't mind it. I chose to get a bow already equipped with Winners Choice and spend the $100 on accessories for the new bow, but that's just my opinion.

Winners choice website is www.winnerschoicestrings.com. You can order right through the site or find a dealer in your area.

I have no affiliation with winners choice, just feel their product is that good.

MN_BOWHUNTER

Edited by - MN_BOWHUNTER on 01/15/2003 15:06:31
Old 01-15-2003, 02:42 PM

If it were me, I'd go with the Winners Choice string right away.

I bought my Q2 back in August and, like you, only hunt with the bow but practice in the back yard at least 3-4 time a week. I was back at the pro shop by mid October getting a WC string installed because I was fed up with the Zebratwist string.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:12 PM

MN Bowhunter what bow do you shoot that came with a Winners Choice string and cable? I agree, I don't like the idea of having to spend another $100 putting a new string and cable on a new bow that costs as much as a Mathews does. If I'm spending that kind of money then it should come with a quality string that I don't have to worry about.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:04 PM

wolf but it and dont worry about it.Been shooting my this year with no problems or had any with my other Mathews in the past.I do how ever replace them every year just to be on the safe side.

SAVE A HUNTER EATA PETA
Old 01-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Wolf,

I shoot a BowTech Patriot. Most of the BowTech line has the Winners Choice string/cable. The new 2003 models will have either the Winners Choice or a new line of strings/cables called 'O2'. The new strings/cables are supposed to be as good or better than the Winners choice. I haven't seen them or talked to anyone that has seen or used them yet so that's all I know about them. You can see the 2003 at the links below. Hope this helps.

MN_BOWHUNTER

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/whats_new/oct_25_02.html
www.bowtecharchery.com
Old 01-16-2003, 09:17 AM

I would just take it with the regular string. They are fine. I have used them for years, and never had a problem, largely shooting 70#/30". Perpetual creep has not been a problem for me, and some of my bowstrings are years old.

A better strategy is to set-up your bow, and take all the measurements, ATA is critical here, mark cam rotation, and every other thing you can measure to keep your bow close, and get it back there quick, should you drop it or whatever. Keep an eye on your bow. That way you will know if you have a real problem, or are just suffering marketing creep. You should do this kind of thing regardless of what brand of string you have. It is just basic shooting sense.

I just measured my Feathermax. I have had it 5-6 years, since they first came out. I use it lightly, as my main hunting bow, and occasional 3D bow, and of course shooting targets. I have a 3D bow etc..., so this one I don't shoot massively. It still has it's original string, and the axle to axle measurement is dead on 36" just as original. If this bow had been shot thousands of shot a month, the string would be long gone, but the idea that the string needs replacing out of the box is nonsense. I bet I shoot this bow as much as most shooter, no problem.