Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching jig

Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Default fletching jig

I am new to archery and next season i want to fletch my own arrows and i was wondering if i bought my arrows from a pro shop are they straight or right helical? Because the jig is either straight or right helical and i dont know which one to get and also is there a fletch glue that works good on bohning blazer vanes?
thanks
mike
Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: fletching jig

I do all of my own arrows, carbon, aluminum, and cedar. I use a Bitzenburger jig with right helical and the glue I use for feathers and vanes is Loc-Tite Super Glue gel. I have good results whether I'm making arrows for my compound or my recurve or arrows for my wife or a friend.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use fletch tite glue for my blazer vanes and have excellent results. I haven't ever had any issues with the vanes comming off or anything. After the vane is on the arrow, I put a little extra dab of glue on the front and back of the vane to insure that the vane doesn't come off.

As txjourneyman, I too use a bitzenburger fletcher. They are a little more expensive, but definetly worth every penny. With this fletcher, you can adjust the amount of helical you want. I put as much as I possibly can while making sure that the vane is still in full contact with the shaft (with blazer you can't get a whole lot of helical, but you can get some). Just make sure you clean and prepare you arrow shaft so you make sure to get a good bond.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM

well the bohning fletch jig that i was gonna by was a bit more in my price range, but besides that do i want to try straight or right helical? i guess i was shooting straight i dont know can anyone tell me if i was they were just store bough arrows with blazers on em, would they be straight? The thing is i am alittle afraid if i get right helical and i dont like or my arrows dont fly as good as they did as if they were straight.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chances are they will fly better with a helical. The helical causes the arrow to spin creating better stability.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM

so then i should go with the righ helical. and will i kinda get how to dothis after i get? i hope so cause by the looks of it i am clueless.
thanks
mike
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

It really is pretty simple. When you get your jig get back on here and we can give you a step by step.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

I use the blitzenburger with the straight jig. Iset the jig to add a slight helical. It works wonders. If you are using carbon arrows the steel force glue is unbelievable I have never had a problem with that glue with the carbon arrows. I don't recommend thesteel force for aluminum arrows.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey...weren't we all clueless at one time?

The way to tell if your arrows have a helical on them or if they are straight fletched is look straight down the arrow from the nock and see if you can tell that your vanes are "wrapping" around your arrow. If they are, then you have a helical. If you can't see much of the vane, then you probably have only a straight fletch. As txjourneyman said, the helical will spin your arrow faster, resulting in an arrow that stablizes faster. This will give you better arrow groupings. You may not be able to tell a whole lot of improvement when shooting a target tip, but when you are shooting broadheads, your arrows will start to group together a little better with a helical. Here is a link that has a pic of arrows that have a right helical: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=523713&highlight=helical

The bitz fletching jig is a little pricey, but you have so much control on how much helical you put on the arrow and you can fine tune it for your set up. I would start off by putting as much helical as you possibly can, making sure the base of the vane stays in contact with the shaft and go from there. It may take several tries, but you will get a setup that will work great for you...
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM

ok well i not gonna get the jig for quite awhile. though but i will ask questions on here once i get it. thanks guys
mike

Quick Reply: fletching jig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.