Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

starting a new range

Old 10-07-2007, 03:35 PM

Default starting a new range

My name is Rick and I'm trying to find out info for building an archery range. The place where I work has donated almost 1 square mile of land to be used to make an archery range. they will make the range the club just provides the material. So any help I could get in designing the range would help.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: starting a new range

It'd be really hard to help you design a range without being able to go onto the property and see what you've got to work with.

You'll need a practice range near the camp/concessions/parking area. Electrical service would be great, but not absolutely necessary.

Also sanitary facilities - if the company would pay for having porta potties serviced, that'd be a plus. If there is water/sewer service, it'd be even better to build actual restrooms. Or maybe put the restrooms on a septic tank if you've got water but no sewer. There are all kinds of health code and environmental problems to deal with for outhouses.

Laying out the shooting trails and lanes is what will require a lot of thought and planning and that's where knowing the lay of the land will really be crucial. Use the natural features to your advantage. If possible, cut the trails wide enough to drive a pickup or tow a trailer. That is a lot of extra work in the beginning but, trust me, it'll make setting up targets a lot easier, save time and make for a lot less work over the years.

Secondary trails to use as shortcuts between targets is another time saver for range maintenance. Just make sure they are kept roped off and closed while the range is in use.

Always keep the number one rule in mind when making your layout. Safety First!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 PM

Where would I find someone or information on how to lay out the range?

Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can get general info from N.F.A.A., IBO or ASA.

www.nfaa-archery.org
www.ibo.net
www.asaarchery.com