Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FallAway Rest whatif??

Old 01-13-2003, 08:40 PM

Default FallAway Rest whatif??

ON A FALL AWAY REST WHAT IF...
MY FREIND IS CONSIDERING BUYING ONE BUT I HAVE I FEW CONCERNS ABOUT ITS HUNT ABILTY.
IF YOUR TAKING A SHOT A MOVING TARGET THAT REQUIRES YOU TO FOLLOW, WHATS STOPPING THE ARROW TO MOVE OPPOIST OF WERE YOU ARE GOING, (IF THE SHOT IS TO LEFT ON A RIGHT HANDED BOW COULDN'T IT HIT THE RISER?).
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF YOU TORQUED THE BOW .
IT DOESN'T SEEM TO ME TO BE A HUNTING REST CAN SOMEONE CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE???
THANKS
Old 01-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FallAway Rest whatif??

They are a very good hunting rest. But taking a moving shot is just destined for trouble.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

First, I will agree with the post above. Shots at moving game should NOT be taken. You must use good judgement in every instance. That being said, I will add that the GKF Mirage with it's patented Super Scoop rest arm grabs, lifts and centers the arrow perfectly EVERYTIME no matter where the arrow is on the rest/riser.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:00 AM

Fallaways are GREAT hunting rests. They allow for much more offset on the fletching without contact. They are also IMO less spine sensitive.

In over 20yrs of bowhunting I have never taken a shot at a moving deer and never plan to, so your arguement is mute.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:37 PM

Trophy taker shakey arm is wide and holds arrow good.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

No problems with my Quicktune 4000. It hunts super and both field tips and broadheads group easily in 2" or less. The bad thing is that I can't shoot two arrows at the same target spot.

Changing to my QT 4000 added 3fps to my chrono speed and increased my accuracy significantly. But as well as I shoot . . . I'd never shoot at a moving target; it is a recipe for disaster.

Bowhunter
Old 01-14-2003, 09:02 PM

I GUESS I WAS NOT CLEAR AND NO ONE SO FAR SHOOTS 3D WITH MOVING TARGETS AND HAS YET TO SAY ANY THING ABOUT THAT POINT!!!! YES I AGREE THAT THEY COULD MAKE A GOOD REST.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:19 PM

to be honest I can't tell you. the only thing I can say is to try one out on moving targets & see.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:59 PM

I know the guys that shot in the great outdoor games were using the muzzy 0 effect and they didn't seem to have any problems with moving targets.

Bill Davis
Old 01-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

The laws of physics tell us that objects at rest tend to stay at rest, objects in motion tend to stay in motion. Just how fast are you swinging that bow to overcome the inertia. Keep in mind that while at full draw the arrow is moving laterally at the same speed of the bow. Releasing the string does not cause the lateral motion of the arrow to stop thereby having it hit the riser, since the arrow was previously moving laterally at the same speed of the bow. In order to overcome inertia and have the arrow hit the riser you would really have to be whipping that bow around. If you are talking about taking a shot at a walking deer there is no way physically that the arrow would hit the riser.

Another point to ponder that may or may not clear it up for you. Let's say you are sittig in the back of a semi-truck trailer (8 foot inside height) travelling 60 mph and toss a tennis ball straight up about 4 feet high, the tennis ball will come back and land in your lap, or if you threw it straight up, perpendicular to the earth it would come down in the exact same point it was released. Why? The tennis ball is travelling forward at the same speed you are whether you perceive it or not. The short distance you throw the ball in the air is not enough time to overcome inertia, so the ball comes back down to you. Now, if you could throw that same ball 30 feet high it would come down somewhere in the back of the trailer because without being connected to the moving object it would immediately begin loosing forward momentum, yadda yadda yadda..... The distance the arrow travels from full draw to clear the front of the riser is not enough distance to overcome the lateral movement of swinging the bow, unless of course you swing the bow faster than the arrow is flying, around 250 fps on average, at which time I would ask just what you are shooting at that is travelling that fast.

There is much more physics behind all of this, but I do not have the time nor desire to get into it.

Keep in mind, if a person is shooting a TM style rest at the release the arrow is not truly connected to the arrow due to archer's paradox, so the same thing would occur during your hypothesis (as if you were shooting a fall away) and the arrow should hit the front of the riser. As long as we are shooting in a gravity environment and the laws of physics remain it will not happen, you will never overcome inertia taking shots at moving targets, unless possibly taking shots at jet ariplanes or something of that speed. Regardless, a human being can not swing a bow fast engouh to overcome the lateral inertia of the arrow prior to the shot, and if you did, just what are you shooting at anyway?

If this does not convince you, then your argument is with Sir Isaac Newton and the Laws of Physics, not drop away rests. Your friend should rest assured that he will not hit his riser taking a questionable shot on moving game.

Physics, gotta love it.