Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Too much Helical?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
bigcountry

Default Too much Helical?

I am going to try something new. I have never fletched with so much helical. What do you think? Too much?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Too much Helical?

As long as your feathers stay on it should be ok. Definitely a good thing for traditional gear. If your shooting a compound for close distance it would be fine, but that much helical is going to slow your arrow down at greater distances causing loss of KE. Might not be enough to matter, just something to consider. Best of luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 PM
bigcountry

So how much have you seen it slow it down from your tests passthru?

You don't want to shoot vanes for trad. These are vanes.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats one thing i miss about my 4" feathers. them babies had a similar helical on them. i just beat them up WAY to quick.

next year when i get a fletching jig i want to experiment a little. test em out BC...see how they work for you. cant hurt to test out right??

ive always heard hard helicals and feathers cause speed loss because of more drag....but how much really?? guess i gotta setup a chrono if i ever get one and find out man i need to buy one...i got 10003 uses for one...i rather have accuracy over speed...if the loss aint THAT great, but the accuracy gain is noticable, im all for it.

let us know how it works for ya BC! are them 4 or 5" vanes??

good color combo too i might add thats the colors of my blazers this year
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 PM
bigcountry

They are 4" duravanes. I plan this weekend to chrony and test against straight and right offset. But I will only go to 20 yards. My poor chrony has been gun shot, knocked over, and not sure it can take much more.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

as long as you are getting vane clearance through your rest you should be fine.the more helical the better it will not slow ur arrow enough at bow dtstances to matter,anyway if you have your bow sighted in at longer distance your fine,you won't lose enough ke to make much od a difference.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

as long as you are getting vane clearance through your rest you should be fine.the more helical the better it will not slow ur arrow enough at bow dtstances to matter,anyway if you have your bow sighted in at longer distance your fine,you won't lose enough ke to make much od a difference.
saved me some typing.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havent tested it big, but makes sense the more air resistance you have the more speed you will loose. I know you dont want to shoot vanes for traditional, guess I didnt look close enough. My appologies. Ive seen on some manufactures websites they dont recomend going with helical, more of an offset because of the speed loss.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 AM

The purpose of fletching is to create drag on the rear of the arrow. The more drag, the more control you'll have, especially in wind. Helical not only creates more drag, but it gets the arrow spinning. Spinning is good when talking about arrows. If you spine is off a bit or your arrow has the tendancy to plane, spinning will help bring it back on the intended line.

One thing about helical, it's either all or none. A given helical clamp can only attach a fletch one way to your shaft. There is no adjustment. To change the amount of helical, you have to change the shaft. The larger the diameter, the greater the helical. If you shoot helical vanes, you won't be able to group your field tips in practice. If you do, you'll put a lot of holes through the vanes.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow
One thing about helical, it's either all or none. A given helical clamp can only attach a fletch one way to your shaft. There is no adjustment. To change the amount of helical, you have to change the shaft.
I resprectfully disagree with that statement.The bitz is adjustable. The clamp has acertain amount of twist, which is not much, but adjustment of the jig is where you get more twist. I never put this hard of a helical on arrows. Even though I use EZ fletch grayling, and bitz. Iusally only use the EZright helical.

Quick Reply: Too much Helical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.