Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Too much Helical?

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Too much Helical?

I'd call it too much unless you're really having to work hard at stabilizing a broadhead. But then, I've used feathers with enough helical that the leading edge of each feather was directly in-line with the trailing edge of the feather next to it, so what do I know...[8D]

As long as you've got good rest clearance and you're not getting too much fletching noise, it's no biggie. They should tune up and fly great over normal hunting distances.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow
One thing about helical, it's either all or none. A given helical clamp can only attach a fletch one way to your shaft. There is no adjustment. To change the amount of helical, you have to change the shaft.
I resprectfully disagree with that statement.The bitz is adjustable. The clamp has acertain amount of twist, which is not much, but adjustment of the jig is where you get more twist. I never put this hard of a helical on arrows. Even though I use EZ fletch grayling, and bitz. Iusally only use the EZright helical.
I would suggest that perhaps you are both correct. The clamp is the clamp and is set a certain way but I think by also offsetting the helical clamp you can gain the appearance and the effect of a more helical fletch.

I have fletched vanes the you have them fletched here and, although I was not measuring for a speed difference, I measured speed on arrows with an offset blazer and arrows fletched like yours. If my memory serves me correctly they may have only been a couple of FPS difference and that just may have been other factors.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

yea, arthur, it might be too much for compound. Just something else to play around with

Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM

I have always wondered what the advantage (if any) would be with the helical over a pretty significant offset. I am using the 2" Blazers on Axis shafts. The maximum offset the jig will allow is giving me very good broadhead flight.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
bigcountry

I would be interested in the results too Roskoe. Main reason I started this, was I was out practicing some long shots with my longbow and notice on a bad release how quickly my arrow straighen up with a hard helical. I mean these are 5.5" bar feathers however.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 PM

I'm thinking the feathers would give a little more general air resistance than the Blazers; but because they are more flexible, the real feathers aren't going to provide as much actual spin. I have no quantifiable basis for this opinion, though. But, in good light,I can clearly see my arrow spiral toward the target.

Along the same lines, it has bothered me for some time that, at a given distance, you would think an arrow would spin a certain number of revolutions - with some degree of consistency - and thecock fletch would wind up oriented more or less in the same position on each arrow in the target. Not even close. Even shooting the same arrow several times from the same distance isn't that consistent.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I have always wondered what the advantage (if any) would be with the helical over a pretty significant offset. I am using the 2" Blazers on Axis shafts. The maximum offset the jig will allow is giving me very good broadhead flight.
As it has been explained to me you wouldn't necessarily seedifferent results if shooting both arrows on a nice day at your backyard target. The difference, as some on here who's advice I trust, is in the forgiveness. Such as when there is a stronger wind blowing and your form is not as exact as it could be. The arrow recovers from badform/environmental influences more quickly when the fletching has more ability to control the arrow.

Main reason I started this, was I was out practicing some long shots with my longbow and notice on a bad release how quickly my arrow straighen up with a hard helical.
As BC states, the arrow recovers more quickly after being badly influenced by form in this case but it could be wind, a combination, and so on.

This is a big reason I went to feathers for my hunting setup.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
I resprectfully disagree with that statement.The bitz is adjustable. The clamp has acertain amount of twist, which is not much, but adjustment of the jig is where you get more twist. I never put this hard of a helical on arrows. Even though I use EZ fletch grayling, and bitz. Iusally only use the EZright helical.
Well, that's a new one for me. I'm guessing the clamp must be flexible. I can't envision how it would work if it's not flexible. Whenever I've put a helical on a shaft, I have to adjust the fletcher angle to match the shaft and the clamp used. The is only one way to attach the fletch and have all surface tough the shaft. The amount of helical always varied with the diameter of the shaft.

I've never used a Bitz, so maybe there is something flexible about the clamp that allows it to seat the full length of the fletch with different angles on the same shaft. Otherwise, I would expect parts of the fletch to not fully adhere to the shaft.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The amount of helical isnt adjustable, what is adjustable is the amount of offset you can use for that helical fletch. With a little added offset it should give you a bit more spin. Personaly I think helical is like alot of thing people on here go overboard with. For example heavy arrow, some say the heavier the better but in all actuality there is a happy medium in there. Just like with cutting diameter, the bigger isnt always the better there either. I think with doing a helical fletch there is a happy medium. If the arrow is stabilizing fast and shooting great then there isnt any reason to make it spin more. Prime example, last year I shot quickspin vanes. They shot great stabilized the arrow fast but Im shooting blazers this year not getting as much spin but acuracy and stability havent seemed to change one bit. Just my two cents.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:01 PM

I’ve had some pretty good debates with aero space engineers regarding the drag a helical fletch effecting momentum, vs. the increased spin caused by the helical creating a better air cushion to fly on and a more stable arrow. In the average hunting yardage from 20 -40 yards the difference is minimal….The bottom line in any case is the more helical you have the quicker you are going to stabilize the arrow flight. I liked the low profile 4 inch vanes with a lot of helical myself.[/b]
[/b]
Especially with the heavier the arrows typically used in traditional archery the bigger feathers with more helical is definitely the way to go. These light fast flying carbon arrows are effected by wind and resistance more so than a heavier shaft, that’s why those little blazers are so popular. But I still preferred a longer low profile with helical over an off set vane….better arrow flight in my opinion.[/b]
[/b]
I did some serious field testing using these quick spin arrows on a speed bow shooting over 300 FPS…. The increased spin carried those arrows further on a flat trajectory than blazers do by a significant amount at 50- 60 yards…..at 80 yards the momentum was starting to bring them closer together again due to the drag and extra weight of the heavy fletching….and at a 100 yards there was no elevation difference at all, but I was more accurate with the quick spins. The quick spin vanes did excellent in high cross wind conditions too…..a huge difference….. food for thought…Kirk[/b]

Quick Reply: Too much Helical?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.