Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw Length to long need suggestions

Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Spike

Default Draw Length to long need suggestions

I bought my bow back in February andmy measured draw length is 23 1/2. I'm new to Archery. My bow only goes as far down as 25and I can't get my arrows to group.Need some advice what to do or some trick that might help?
Old 09-27-2007, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw Length to long need suggestions

There's a couple things you can do to increase draw length without messing up your draw. One is to get rid of string loop,that'll knock off about 3/4" and the other thing you can do is get a shorter release such as winn's free flight. It's shorter. Try these Ideas and let me know if it works good for you.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim,

bear's ideas can help. It might also help if you state what bow you have and with what cam and draw weight.

Did you buy the bow new? If so why didn't you get one that would adjust down for you? Or even a better question, why did someone sell you a bow that would not adjust down far enough for you? I'm not bashing you. Just asking some questions.

I asssume that being 25 years old you aren't going to growing any more. How did you measure your draw length needs? Normally I would suggest short stringing a bow for a youngster that will be growing into the bow, but this isn't likely the correct path for you.

If this is the bow you're going to have for any length of time I'd suggest changing cams, modules, or whatever. Or you maybe should just get another bow that can be adjusted down far enough. It's all guess work at this point till we know what you're shooting.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Spike

I am shooting a Missions X3 (Mathews). My draw weight is 50Ibs. The bow will go to 60 Ibs. It has a Carolina Whisker biscuit rest. Tru-Glo 4 pin sight. I have a kisser button on it. I am using Gold Tip Hunter Expedition arrows with 100 Grain field points. I bought my bow new. The shop I bought it from didn't measure my draw length he just asked if the bow felt good and I said yes. I didn't find out about my draw length until afterwards. I guess he was just trying to make a sell. The way I measured my draw length was measuring my arm span from arm to arm,tip to tip and dividing the number by 2.5.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM

Bowmaster82,
Youve come to the right place . There are so many wise people on this site , my skilll has grown so much due to everyones help.
As far as needing a inch and a half of drawlength from a bow that cant do it , that could be tricky. Can you have someone take a picture of you at full draw showing where your anchor is?? Are you shooting with a release or fingers?? I know if you use your fingers that may due the trick , though accuracy will suffer greatly to somewhat. Anyways keep posting and good luck
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Spike

I am shooting with a release. I hope I have given enough info but if not let me know.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post a picture of yourself at full draw, showing where your anchor pointis.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 AM

TheFIRST thingyou shoulddo is take it back to the shop you bought it from and see what they can do. If they sold you a bow that doesn't fit they should do everything in their power to get it right. I don't know if Mathews makes a cam for that bow that would fit your draw length but any good archery shop should.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to a real pro shop and get measured , the wingspan method will get you close , but bows are like shoes , close does not cut it you have to be dead on on draw length to be comfortable .
Old 09-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, so you measured your draw at 23 1/2" and the guy sold you a 25" bow. I'd head back that way and see what can be done. I'm not up on the cams used on the Mission.

Just for informational purposes, the guy in the sop should not just have asked you how the bow felt. He should have been observant to see whether the bow fit you properly and guided you accordingly. That assumes he knew enough to do so. That is part of the responsibilities of having a "proshop".

More later.