Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any tips on gettin a Dloop no so long?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Any tips on gettin a Dloop no so long?

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Greg, here is my D-loop, tight as I can get it. My knots are huge compared to yours.
Mark,

Sorry... I've been literally SWAMPED with work projects and while I've clicked on this thread from time to time, I just haven't had time to even start a response. Actually, your knots themselves don't look bad to me; it just looks like your loop is longer than you want it according to all you've said.

I'm not sure I can tell you anything more other than to pull that d-loop material tight alongside your string before starting to make your second knot... By doing that, it's easy for me to remove every bit of slack out of what is going to form up my actual loop, and I have to be cautious or I'll make my d-loop too short!
Thanks greg, couldn't have done it without ya. At least I have a setup I don't worry about moving around on me.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

ive never used a string loop, ive always attatched my release right to the string.

dont have any problems that way so far in 15 years.
Ok, so how does us know that help us any at all?
its just a statement. some things arent always necessary. maybee someone who's just getting started in the sport has problems with there string loop. and never thought about the fact that you can just get rid of it and shoot without being bothered by it. you know about keeping things simple BC you shoot traditional.

..outside of the fact that the thing can move or break on you....i never used one because i used to have a ballbearing style release and could never efficiently get my realease hooked to the string without having to look at it and put effort into "hooking up" my release to the loop.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ive never used a string loop, ive always attatched my release right to the string.

dont have any problems that way so far in 15 years.
Ok, so how does us know that help us any at all?
its just a statement. some things arent always necessary. maybee someone who's just getting started in the sport has problems with there string loop. and never thought about the fact that you can just get rid of it and shoot without being bothered by it. you know about keeping things simple BC you shoot traditional.
I like extremes. I like super high tech. or super low tech. So I understand about keeping things simple. I do like the pros of a string loop. Especially with these binary cam bows. Your right behind the arrow, you are saving your serving.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell you why I went to a string loop: After the third or fourth eliminator buttonwore out on me (not to mention wearing through the serving a couple times). As that eliminator button deteriorates, it changes your POI.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know what an "eliminator button" is...someone inform me. [&o]please

some releases are harder on the serving than others.(i use a tru-ball....not sure of the model but it cost30$ or so.) itseems to be gentle on servings compared to other releases ive used

if you shoot 50 arrows a day its gonna wear out your servingpretty quickwithout a loop in most cases.
if you do your own serving its not that big of a deal...if you dont a center serving cost 2 dollars to have someone do.

the serving on my current compound is the best ive ever seen.
it hasent moved at all and still looks brand new after a year, and ive shot alot of arrows with it(dont know how much can be credited to the release).....with that in mind i probably am due for a new string but am procrastinating on that because it still looksto be in great shape...and shoots fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:39 PM

i dont know what an "eliminator button" is...someone inform me. please
It's that little rubber cushion that keeps your release off the arrow nock.

I switched for reasons similar to Greg's. At the time, I didn't have a bow press and I went through those buttons quickly and didn't want to have to take my bow to a shop to have it pressed.

Now that I do all of my own bow work, I've often thought of going back to shooting off the string, but I've grown comfortable using the Catfish Loop. I guess I just don't have a good reason to go back to attaching to the string.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks arrow...

i use a length of fine sewing thread(about2.5 foot)wrapped arround the string on top(finished with a small dab of glue, looks like abrass nock only made of thread when done wrapping)anda small brass nock underneathe to keep my release from binding the arrow....its unconventional but it works, the thread doesnt move and lasts the whole year(when you keep it waxed).

i use the thread nockon my recurve too but i shoot 3 fingers under with that. it doesnt worknearly aswell with split finger shooting because the top finger rubs against it and wears it out.