Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any tips on gettin a Dloop no so long?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Any tips on gettin a Dloop no so long?

bigcountry,

I posted this a while back....this is how I tie mine, I also like a small loop.

Here you go....

This is how I tie my nock sets as well as my string loop. I like a very small loop so it's a little harder to tie. If you like a slightly longer loop it will be easier.

I start out with a 4 3/4 in piece of loop material. I have found that Allen makes a great string loop material, it burns good, does not stretch and holds it's shape very well.

After I cut my loop to length I burn both ends into a nice big melted ball. I like to do this off of the bow as it gives me more control of the melt. If the flame is too close it will burn the end leaving a burnt charred like appearance. This is not good as it will make the end weak and could break. The end should melt but never catch fire.

Next I locate my nock position and tie in my first nock set. I tie the nock just like you would any knot but instead of a complete knot I only tie half, then wrap the serving material around the bow string and tie again. I repeat this till I have done it 5 times (you can do more or less) the last knot is a full square not to keep it in place. I cut the ends and melt into place.

I then slip on an arrow nock to give me my proper spacing and tie the second nock set. Once that is done I am ready to tie on the loop. This is a little difficult especially if you have big hands like me, but if I can do it anybody can.

I tie the first knot on the outside of my tied on nock and pull it as tight as I can. I do this by wrapping the loop material around a screwdriver and pull (like a "T" Handle), I then lay theuntied end down on the string over my second tied on nock. I tie the second knot. This one will be difficult because there is not alot of material to work with, you will end up pushing the melted ball through the knot. Take your time and don't get frustrated.

After it's tied you will have no loop to speak of but after you pull it some it will take shape. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to spread the loop and get it tight. After that I knock an arrow, attach my release and pull. I don't pull it all the way into the let off because I want as much weight to cinch the knot. Make sure you are pointing your bow in a safe direction.

It's important to make sure you tie your string loop in opposite directions so the melted balls are on opposite sides of the string.

When done it will look like this:

As you can see there is just enough room to put my release on once an arrow is nocked.

Good luck and remember it will take time to get that second knot tied on but this way you will be assured a nice small loop.

This is what it looks like with the release attached:

Old 09-25-2007, 05:39 AM
bigcountry

Thats a nice loop you got there Bigj. I have tried those nocking knots and can't get them to bite in good enought. Thought about using old FF string strands I have from old bow strings. What size and type of serving material do you use?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Thats a nice loop you got there Bigj. I have tried those nocking knots and can't get them to bite in good enought. Thought about using old FF string strands I have from old bow strings. What size and type of serving material do you use?
bigcountry....

Thanks for reminding me!! I almost forgot the most important part about the tied on nock set....I use BCY Polygrip .020 but I WAX thePolygrip before I tie it on. I just cut the length I need and pull it between my thumb and the top of my bow string wax tube to get it nice and sticky!

This way the knots cinch tight and won't loosen up while you are tying them around the serving. When they are tight they will "bite"into the serving material and won't budge.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM

I don't use traditional loop material anymore. I tie Catfish Loops. Back when I did use loop material, I put the loop on before I tied the nocksets. I tied the loop knots right next to each other with no slack. Then I stretched it out far enough with needle nose pliers to connect a release. Then I drew the bow enough time to finish stretching the knots (shoot arrows if you're more comfortable). Last, I tied the nocksets on. This way I could make the loop so short that I had to turn the loop to the side in order to attach the release, and had no further stretch.

I still prefer the Catfish Loop, but this seemed to work quite well. Hope this helps some.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
bigcountry

Does the catfish loop move alot? Do I have to still put on the nock sets? I might try one tonight.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:12 AM

bigc, i start w/ a 4" piece of rope. the other trick, if nobody has mentioned it - is you need to squeeze the back side of the knots together with pliers. this little step will keep the knot from sliding around after you've tightened it.

also, if you do your bottom knot 'upside down', with the loop coming out from under the burnt ball - instead of above it - you won't need to worry about pinch, think about that.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 AM

The Catfish Loop does not hold super tight to the string. You can actually spin it freely around the string. It will not control a peep if that is what you're looking for. I don't shoot with a peep so it's not a concern for me.

I have a couple friends that use peeps and now use them. They complained that the loops would always eventually move - causing peep trouble. Once they put on the catfish loop, the peeps only movement was dependent on the quality of the string they had on their bow.

It's advantages are that it will not stretch, not even a fraction of an inch. It acts somewhat as a silencer. The looseness somehow dampens string vibration to a degree. You can custom build it to an exct length or thickness and easily repeat it each time you build another. It's simply a matter of making a simple jig to wind the material on each time you make one. They are extremely durable. Mine have always outlasted the string I have them on. I've never seen one break on anyone's setup. They also cannot come untied. It virtually impossible without plenty of advance warning. This means no unexpected punches to the face.

The only downside is the 15 minutes it will take to tie one. I find it time well spent.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:46 AM
bigcountry

My concern is not the peep but moving up and down the string. So I guess nocking point knots are a must

Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

My concern is not the peep but moving up and down the string. So I guess nocking point knots are a must
Yes, I alway tie nocking points, which I prefer anyway. Tied nocks make small, precise adjustments to nock height, very easy and extremely quick.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:01 AM
bigcountry

straight, one last question about catfish loops. I followed the procedures on racks and beards, you sent out a long time ago. I am kinda surprised, they are using dental floss. And really skeptical that the dental floss loop would keep the serving from unwinding from around the loop. Do you secure the tag end this way? Or tie another half hitch around the string with left over tag end? I wonder if a person could pull the tag end thru the loop with the dental floss?

Quick Reply: Any tips on gettin a Dloop no so long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.