Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrows impacting dead on at 20 yards and almost a foot left at 30.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Default arrows impacting dead on at 20 yards and almost a foot left at 30.

Some of you may remember I asked where the vertical centershot was on a bow well mine was a bit high so I adjusted it. This changed my nock point and rest adjustment of course. Now the problem I am having is with broadheads I'm hitting about a foot to the left of my groups at 20 yards. So I moved my arrow rest slightly right well this changed where my arrows were hitting by a little bit so I thought now were getting somewhere. I resighted in my bow to hit dead center and moved back to 30 yards where my arrow hit about a foot left again. This continued on for a while until I finally gave up and called it a day. If anyone has any ideas I'm open for suggestions. The way it looks now I probably wont make opening day.

I forgot to put in some information that may help:
I am shooting a whisker biscuit with 4 inch feathers. I am also a finger shooter and wondered if this could be caused by torque?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrows impacting dead on at 20 yards and almost a foot left at 30.

I am shooting a whisker biscuit with 4 inch feathers. I am also a finger shooter
The WB would not be my first choice of rest using fingers.

I would go for a flipper or plungerstyle rest.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Thanks Ausie I was wondering about that but it has shot good in the past. I was a little hesitant of it when the salesman recommended it to me. My whisker biscuit is getting warn out anyways so I'm thinking about getting something else, but I just hated to change a lot of things before the season. With the bows getting shorter and shorter I wish I could learn to use a release it would make stuff a lot easier
Old 09-23-2007, 08:52 PM

make sure your not cantting your bow put a level bow and also Ausie-guy
is right about the wb with finger you need a botton of some kind. The string coming off your finger pushs the front of the arrow to the inside. One way to check this to use the same pin at 10,20,30 and 40 yards and see if your arrow are in a stright line up and down, if not you having a cantting problem , a presure point problem, are a arrow spine problem.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used both the flipper and plunger when I started shooting compound back in the early 80's with fingers,I also remember backing off the plunger to far and it came apart and the spring just ran away,I still have em in my old archery box and they show all the wear of many a hundreds of arrows over em....Iam also thinking of putting a flipper on my PSE Kudu take down recurve----The shelf is'nt all that great and Iam shooting 400 beman clasics thru it....it works good if I shoot ceders thru it but the small size of the carbons make a big differance...
sorry got off track.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 PM

doc I was walk back tunning when I discovered this little problem. I may mess with it a little bit tommorow and see if I can get field tips to impact in a straight line. I just thought with it being this close to season I would skip that step and go straight to broad heads. Thanks for all your replies. I wish I would have shot outside sooner so I could have gotten back farther than 20 yards. This is getting really late to have a major tunning issue like this.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Are you using a peep? Do you shoot with both eyes open?

The reason I ask is, if you shoot with both eyes open (as I always did when I used a peep, don't use one anymore) and you have a cross dominant eye (i.e. left eye dominant shooting right handed), it is possible to let your left eye take over, which would cause you to shoot way left. Perhaps this is not happening at 20, but is showing up as you get farther back?

Anyway, just my thoughts. If you shoot with your off eye shut, never mind ...
Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM

I shoot with one eye closed and don't use a peep site. Thanks anyways though winger if you have any other ideas im open for suggestions.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with rest of the people here that it may be a torque issue. I shoot with a string that is intentionally to short to avoid any chances of string slap. Obviously, this creates torque on the bow. The only thing that improved my accuracy at allranges and allowed me to see the torque being applied to the bow was a sight designed for that application, such as the Dusk Devil sights. It improved my shooting form, allowed me to correctfor thetorque my hand was creating on the bow and made me follow through to arrow impact. For me it was a form issue due to the short draw length, but it was corrected by the sight.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Well more good news I went to my bowshop and they were out of right handed flipper rests so I had him order me one. It should be in on Thursday and hopefully with his help we can get it tuned easily. I'll just have to see how it goes to tell if i'll make opening day Oct. 1.

Quick Reply: arrows impacting dead on at 20 yards and almost a foot left at 30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.