Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How fast?

Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default How fast?

I really don't want to start any trouble here with this question but i am really curious. How fast is a respectable speed for a hunting setup?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: How fast?

In my humble opinion, 260fps for arrow wieght of 7gr/pound draw is respectable. And deadly

Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say anything over 160fps is good enough.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Fork Horn

Its been a long time (few years) since i last bow hunted and was just wondering how fast things are moving now. I think i was at about 220 last time i shot my bow. But i know im using a very heavy arrow.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:21 AM

When hunting, most situations allow you to know the distance, either through the use of a rangefinder or pre-measuring of your stand area. If the distance is known, speed is not a factor out of any hunting bow I'm aware of. In fact, the shorter your draw length or lower your draw weight, the more important it is to ignore speed and concentrate on high arrow weight, very high FOC and proper spine. As long as you can shoot at least 120 fps, I doubt trajectory will an issue inside of 20 yards on any setup. If you somehow couldn't reach that speed, you might have to keep your shots inside of 12-15 yards.

I can think of no other factor that is more overrated in regards to hunting success, than speed.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

A bow doesn't have to be fast to kill deer. I've killed several at less than 200fps. That said I want all the Speed I can get as Long as the Bow is Quiet, Smooth, and very capable of Tight Groups. Bowtech has filled these requirements better for me than any bow I have ever shot. My Allegiance is shooting over 300fps and is a tack driver as well as being quiet. The Guardian is just slightly behind in speed and even quieter and smoother. The accuracy of the Guardian has really impressed me also.
The 08's will even be better

Dan
Old 09-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

MYOLD OLD OLD OLDBOW WAS 210 AND MY 1ST BOW WAS AROUND 150 I THINK.BUT FOR THE BASIC I WOULD SAY 200FPS....HAVENT CHECKED MY TRAD BOWS YET...
Old 09-23-2007, 02:30 PM

A better question would be what KE is suitable. Your speed should be whatever gives you enough KE for the game you are hunting.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

my 50lb recurve only shoots around 98-110fps and my dad killed alot of big bucks with it even got pass throughs sometimes. all in KE most compounds with good heads are more then enough.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: sigfla

A better question would be what KE is suitable. Your speed should be whatever gives you enough KE for the game you are hunting.
Actually KE shows no direct relationship to arrow penetration on animals. See Ashby's study:

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2005update5.pdf

Whereas, it is important to understand that speed gives no advantage to making a kill, especially in it's relationship to KE.

Quick Reply: How fast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.