Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How fast?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How fast?

My speed and setup is in my Signature.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I understand its very important to you that others shoot 12 or even 15gr/lb of pull.
You understand wrong. It is important to me that people understand that the bow means almost nothing. The arrow is however, extremely important. I want them to know how important correct spine is, how much more forgiving very high FOC is and how weight/FOC affects penetration. I want them to know that if they have a low draw weight or short draw length or they’re hunting really big game that weight is not their enemy. It’s their friend. I want them to know if they hit heavy bone, that weight is a big advantage.

Yes, I was. I wondered why 35 years ago, most of my shots from a 45 lb recurve were passthroughs, and a good percentage of my shots from a 70 lb compound were not. I wondered why so many TV hunters showed video of close range shots with absolutely horrible penetration on rib cage hits on whitetails. I wondered how a 70 lb compound shooting 280 fps sometimes didn’t pass through the ribs of an immature whitetail. There was tons of evidence of poor penetration to make me do a lot of thinking – and experimenting. It was the actual implementation of Ashby’s recommendations that was eye-opening for me.

I also came to realize that I didn’t want to shoot what worked on ribcages, but not on shoulder bones. I wanted an arrow that had a better chance of working on shots hitting heavier bone.
I guess I just don't have all the ill effects and issues you have, and hope I don't one day. I asked the same question of bruce when I sat beside him in a seminar when I saw his arrow.

I myself will shoot thru a shoulder, or thru lungs and just don't worry about it.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM

I see this on Tv to and I also wonder whats going on. I have away shot 65 to 70 lb compound bows shooting fast at carbon arrows at 260's to 280's and alway pass through every thing and stuck the arrow in the ground . Have shot bull ELK at 40 yards and passed throughand pulled the arrow out of the ground. I'm shooting about 280 fps now 400 grain arrows now with a 85 gr. Thunderhead putting out 69 Lbs of KE with foc around 10 % and passing through my test target. I have tryed some of the new heads at 100 gr. over the years and wasn,t happy after a kill and always go back to 85 gr. 9 to 10% FOC and I'm looking forward to shooting some thing this year. Back in the late 60 and 70s I shot 65 to 70 LB recurve and most of my group shot 55 to 65 lb recurves. Shot a tons of deer with it and have seen a ton of deer shot, I shot 2018, 2117, 2219 woods and fiberglass arrows with 125 to 140 gr, heads and have gotten pass throughs, but mostly not. Most of the time the arrow would brake off on inpacted are when the deer, bear and Elk would take off it would brake the arrow off. I love pass throughs and alway work with my bow and arrows till I get it. Fast recovery, kill things dead and most of all no arrow inside them.