Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

josh,

johnny is using the typical bate and switch routine that is common for people use when they have no point really. Why would we ever want to talk about KE, momentum or penetration when it comes to arrows? Why josh?

There simply is no equality between a 60# and a 70# bow. You make one thing equal you change something else that makes the 70# bow better.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

Go ahead and order your new limbs to achieve the draw weight you want.

Most of the guys on this website that have 9000+ years of experience and have shoulder injuries speak of staying with a lower poundage bow. What you need to learn from these guys is that most of them are injuried because they never learned the proper way to pull back a higher poundage bow or....they went beyond what felt comfortable and did not listen to what their bodies were telling them. If you can pull it properly and comfortably, then shoot it!

I agree with whoever said a 60lb bow feels like a toy. I know for my personal use, I lock into my form better with a higher poundage drawing bow.

I agree with Dave, I would want the higher KE if a good shot goes bad. It almost boils down to an ethical issue. Do I want a bow that puts an arrow 6" into the foam block or a bow that puts an arrow 10" into the foam block. Think what happens if that foam block becomes a deers shoulder.

As for the comment saying that a 60lb bow will take down anything on this continent....well...so will a .22 rifle. But do people hunt elk and caribbou with a .22 rifle? I should hope not. A .22 rifle is not as effective (range and knock down power) as a .30-06. Same thing with a 60lb bow IMO.

It's funny,I never hear of people saying...you should be shooting a 70lb bow instead of a 60lb bow. Yet you quite often hear the reverse. It's almost amusing at times.

Why is your example using a 22 and a 30-06? If you were to use the example of a 30-06 on the low end (60# bow)and a 338 (70# bow), then both can effectively take a caribou.
Maybe a BB gun and a 17 hmr should be the example and neither is good enough.

That being said, I do agree that they are not the same and their is a difference in performance. I only disagree that you are comparing a 60# bow to a 22lr on caribou
A 60lb bow can kill a carribou and a .22lr can kill a carribou. I picked the .22 because my point is saying "a 60lb bow can kill any animal on this continent" is a stupid comment and makes no sense because a .22 can as well!

I hear ya MD.Using a 22lr on carribou is unethical and probably illegal. Comparing a 60# bow to a 22 in your example is a bit unfair IMO.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Daved38,go ahead and buy a 70 pound bow--it's your money and your decision.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Davey,Davey,
I wonder how all of the women and children hunt when they can't draw a 70 pound bow--they must be superior archers!You gonna tell me a 70 is was is needed to hunt?says who?you?Why isn't 80lbs the standard?Surely it would put the 70 to shame correct?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

johnny johnny,

Again with the 2 step hustle. First it's speed, now this. trying to make me out to be the egomaniac whe nyou are the one making the comments that jsut aren't factual.

Ethically, we should shoot the highest poundage that we can draw comfortably. wheterh it's 45 lbs or 100 lbs.

Just because someone is not physically capable of doing so doesn't mean they should tell others they shouldn't. My bow goes up to 75#'s and I shoot it at 75#'s. however, I'm a physical specimin though who's been lifting weights most of my life. 6'3" tall 195 lbs of blue twisted steel. I'd shoot a 200# bow if i could get my hands on one.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

A person can twist scenarios all day long--it's been very educational!Thanks dave.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

johnny johnny,

Again with the 2 step hustle. First it's speed, now this. trying to make me out to be the egomaniac whe nyou are the one making the comments that jsut aren't factual.

Ethically, we should shoot the highest poundage that we can draw comfortably. wheterh it's 45 lbs or 100 lbs.

Just because someone is not physically capable of doing so doesn't mean they should tell others they shouldn't. My bow goes up to 75#'s and I shoot it at 75#'s. however, I'm a physical specimin though who's been lifting weights most of my life. 6'3" tall 195 lbs of blue twisted steel. I'd shoot a 200# bow if i could get my hands on one.
That's the funniest thing I have ever read. lmao!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see Dave has 1 fan[X(]
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 AM

I think it is funny because Dave is reading you like an open book.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

john,

The 195 lb of blue twisted steel is a Tred Barta quote to lighten the mood.

My point is that ethically you should shoot with the highest poundage you can draw. Heck, we could use a string tiedon a tree branch and shoot a broadhead into a deer. Is that ethical, no.Will it kill a deer, sure.

Bows have been advanced toaid in our ability to kill a deer as humanely as possible and I think we should use that to our advantage. If it made a 60# bow perform like a 70# in the past why not use a 70# that performs like a 80# in the past.It's all about ethics in my eyes. Why try and stay at the bottom if you can stay at the top?I could kill a deer with a 45# bow but feel more comfortable that I'mdoing my best by using 70#.

Am I saying that a person that uses a 45# is unethical? Not at all. That person is hunting with the highest draw weight they can comfortably pull andI hope staying within their effective range for that equipment. It's not their fault they are not physically capable of pulling more.I applaud reading about a woman that works out and shoots a lot so that they can pull a 50# or even 55# bow. She's trying to be as lethal as possible.

Quick Reply: Ordered bow with wrong draw weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.