Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

My Form. Please comment

Old 09-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Form. Please comment

Don't be so quick to change cams. Give it some time for your body to adjust to the new feel. I know people like the high letoff, but many knowledgeable archers shoot lower letoff like 65% because it forces them to use their back muscles for aiming,which is the right way to shoot.

Hunters like high letoff, but be aware that it can lead to laziness, meaning not enough holding weight and a sloppy release.

Any time you make a change, such as draw length or weight give you body a couple weeks tobecome accustomed to it. As for draw length, 1/2" too short is much better than 1/4" too long. Especially for a hunting bow (Heavy clothes).
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I cannot beleive it took BG fisher so long to comment on the draw length[8D]
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KIDD642

I cannot beleive it took BG fisher so long to comment on the draw length[8D]
You better behave yourself, Frank. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Hey there guys! I'm a new to the site, and asomewhat seasoned archer. I think BG Fisher hit it right on the nose with "better too short, than long." I have always used the tip of my nose as a 3 point achorgauge. bone to bone thumb and jaw, and the tip of my nose keeps your head in exactly the same position each time....this type of anchor requires raising your peep and lowering your bow to that naturally straight line elbow height to elbow height.....looking at the photo i would say at least a 1/2 inch to long on draw length..... using that release any way... i prefera slightlybentarm holding the bowmyself....better circulation and accuracy was the result for me...Kirk
Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am one of those that prefers to be a 1/4" long than a 1/4" short.

Too short as well as too long can cause left and rights.

I don't get buched up when shooting a little long.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like if your too short it causes faster fatigue when shooting. One plus about going a tad longer is a little extra speed.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would never adjust draw length according to speed,only to accuracy.

I have posted these many times but I have videos of me 1/4 too long,1/4 too short and just right.

Too short by 1/4"

Notice front shoulder.You can't see the release elbow working out on me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YYwcNVjcjgU

1/4" too long.I am just extended a little too much.Accuracy is good but hard to get the shots to go off like I would like.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YdXv0cKiFC8

Just right.The draw is the same as the short draw but with longer loop.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bViuXcW-rAk

I realize I have a bad double set but it is better than it used to be.I also have double jointed shoulders and I feel I do this to ensure the shoulders are in line and I have correct bone to bone contact.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasnt trying to say shooting too long of a draw is better TFOX. I was just simply stating that you get more speed with a longer draw, and if you shoot one thats a tad long like you said you do then you get a little more speed. Speed isnt a bad thing, its actualy a great thing specialy when it happens to come with better accuracy. Like if you are shooting to short ofa draw and increase it a bit, usualy yeilds better accuracy and more speed.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I am one of those that prefers to be a 1/4" long than a 1/4" short.

Too short as well as too long can cause left and rights.

I don't get buched up when shooting a little long.

I do agree with you to a point. The problem is that most people are not 1/4" too long but "inches" too long. I think you know wenough about finding one's optimum draw length so all the boes and stuff line up when at full draw. But people don't want to spend the time or are not educated about it enough to find what is optimum for them. And it sure isn't some given measurementbased on one's stature.

I think wingspan measurements are about as close a starting point as any and better than most. Then it really comes down to finding that sweet spot when one is aiming. How many people want to spend this amount of time and brain power?

I just wish that more shops (pro or box stores) would show more care in properly setting people up in the first place.You know. At least get them close. Then again, maybe a lot of them don't know how to. And then there are always those who don't want to be told to shorten up for the fear of losing some speed. You know the ones I'm talking about. They'll buy anything imagineable to cure the ills, but as soon as someone says shorten the draw or turn down the weight they balk at the idea.

Oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

That last paragraph says a mouthfull.

I am longer than my wingspan measurement even when I am drawing too short.I usually use the wingspan then add a 1/2" and start from there when trying to get someones draw length right.

Quick Reply: My Form. Please comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.