Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanical Broadhead issue

Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Bartender

Default Mechanical Broadhead issue

I posted in the bowhunting forum abouta shot I did on a doe and how it
was to far back. Well the Wasp Hammer Head SST 100 Gr i used in that hunt I took a couple practice shots today just to check it.
I shot at a foam target that got a little soft in the middle but after 4-5 shots that mechanical did not open up and that little rubber band stayed right on it. Is this not good? I would think not. I am truely thinking about going back to fixed blade. BTW that rubber band just slide up the arrow on the doe kill shot.
I switched from aluminum last year to carbon this year.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical Broadhead issue

Those style head with the rubber bands usualy open quit easily. From my experience the rubbler band usualy will just slide up the shaft when the head expands. You said it wasnt expanding after several shots in the foam, it could be clogged with foam or possible the blades could be snapping back closed when the arrow stops. Id just check the head out and as long as the blades open and close freely it should be good.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do you know it didn't open? If you pull the arrow back out,most of the time,the rubberband will just slide baqck up into position.If it is stuck out the back and the rubberband is still on the head,then it isn't opening but pulling it back out,you can't be sure.

Passthru is correct,those style heads require very little to open.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

was to far back. Well the Wasp Hammer Head SST 100 Gr i used in that hunt I took a couple practice shots today just to check it.
I shot at a foam target that got a little soft in the middle but after 4-5 shots that mechanical did not open up and that little rubber band stayed right on it. Is this not good? I would think not. I am truely thinking about going back to fixed blade. BTW that rubber band just slide up the arrow on the doe kill shot.

You've been on here long enough to know.... Silly Wrabbit, Mech's are for kids......
If I had (and only if I had)shoot a mech, it would be grim reapers. I've put them though the test.. and they stack up as far as mech go. Fixed blade, and heavy are the best for me. Muzzy Phantoms 220 grain.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just noticed you used the same head you shot the deer with.It is quite possible that the blades could be bent and causing them to be stuck and not opening.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Bartender

Tfox I do see them sticking out the back still closed.
I will try a new mech later today.

LOL silly wabbit
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

I have harvested many of animal with the mechanical with no failures (knock on wood) but things can happen. I recently went to a fixed blade that I found hard to beat. The stryker by G5.......I really love how they fly right with my field points and are so scray sharp.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do see them sticking out the back still closed
They could be slamming closed when the arrow comes to a stop.

Get a piece of paper and put it on the back of the target to see if that is the case.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM

If the blades swing freely they'll open freely. If the head has been damaged or plugged up by shooting you'll have resistance on them when you try to swing the blade open by hand.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Good to hear!
ORIGINAL: FRALEY

Quick Reply: Mechanical Broadhead issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.