Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mechanical Broadhead issue

Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanical Broadhead issue

Tony, I took my first 27 deer with mechs... Though mine were by Rockets, I think the Wasp is a great head, too. The guys up above are right (especially Kodiak) about shooting the same head which may have meat matter or dried blood inside it making the blades harder to open.

All my shots with mechs just rolled the band up the shaft like you mentioned, and pulling an arrow out its entry hole will oftentimes close the blades back.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm a fixed head fan and don't like mechanicals myself. BUT.... through testing some mechanicals and after discussing the same thing with Len a couple times, I found that foam and mechanicals don't react well together. If you place a piece of cardboard on the target they will open. The cardboard is more like the hide of an animal, foam isn't. Chances are they open just fine on an animal. It doesn't have to be heavy cardboard either. Just a thin box opened up and placed on the face of the target will allow them to open.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot a lot of animals with mechanicals (30+) but I really don't see the advantage to using them with the quality of fixed blade heads available, such as Slick Tricks, G5 Strikers, etc.
One failure of a mechanical head in a hunting situation is too many. Shoot them long enough, and kill enough animals and it will happen. I will just not take the risk anymore, not the way my Slick Tricks perform, flight, holes, toughness, etc.

Dan
Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 PM

I know this is my first post, but I feel that I need to answer such a post.

Mechanicals, are indeed a performing broadhead, many of them have the capability of out performing some of the well like fixed blade heads. Don't chalk up the use of the mechanicals to the fact that many of their users don't tune or shoot beforehand with them. I spend countless hours and days out of my pre season, shooting broadheads, and adjusting if necessary. A mechanical in many instances only works as well as the shooter; meaning shot placement is the greatest key. Don't be worried with Jackknife Style blades, one of the best: Rocket Steelheads uses such design. Don't be afraid of rubber bands either, more than 90% of the mechanicals still use them. If you test a mechanical, a soft spot on a target is not good IMO. A target like a Rhinehart 18-1 would work well. Or if you want to go more in depth, try using a leather glove in front of the target, or perhaps a piece of meat if you have one (a ham works well). I did a simple test with Rage, Rocket Steelheads, and NAP Spitfires, I shot through a 2" box, and recorded my results like the following: if the blades were deployed by the time the broadhead exited into my target. The NAP Spitfires, and Rocket Steelheads worked to perfection, while the Rage did not. Although I did the test, I took it with a grain of salt, since some of my closest friends have used the Rage 3-Blade without problems.

The point I am trying to get at is; you can do all the testing you want, but until you "test" in real life, all else is perhpas just suspected, or probable. Keep in mind a bad shot, is not a reason to blame the mechanical if performance was poor!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The one advantage is cutting width. Though I'm shooting fixed-blade heads currently, I enjoyed some extremely devastating wound channels with large-diameter cutting widths that produced blood trails that looked like they were poured out of a bucket. Of the 27 deer I shot with mechs before switching last year to Slick Tricks and this year to MX-3s, none of them travelled over 65 yards.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

The one advantage is cutting width. Though I'm shooting fixed-blade heads currently, I enjoyed some extremely devastating wound channels with large-diameter cutting widths that produced blood trails that looked like they were poured out of a bucket. Of the 27 deer I shot with mechs before switching last year to Slick Tricks and this year to MX-3s, none of them travelled over 65 yards.
I have found that I get SHORT track jobs,if at all when using even small diameter cut mechanicals.Is it double lung causing the 30 yard track jobs or the mechanicals?[8D]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I have found that I get SHORT track jobs,if at all when using even small diameter cut mechanicals.Is it double lung causing the 30 yard track jobs or the mechanicals?[8D]
I have yet to have to track an animal I have shot with a Slick Trick Mag. Whenyou see them fall, no tracking needed.I know, I know. I just jinxed myself
Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 AM

A mechanical in many instances only works as well as the shooter; meaning shot placement is the greatest key.
This is why I choose to use fixed blades with thicker blade designs. I know that stuff happens and that if you hunt long enough, the best shooter in the world will make a less than desirable hit. I want the best chance of penetration and blades not bending or breaking on these less than good hits. Once again, Ashby's studies have nailed which heads do this best. He hasn't tested them all, but he has tested dozens of them. It's the really thick 2-blade fixed head designs that win in this area.

I agree with TFOX. It's the double lung shot that results in a short tracking job. Whether they fall within sight, has more to do with your hunting terrain than what broadhead you used on that double lunger.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't shot as many deer as many of you(by choice) but I have had as many fixed head failures as I have mechanicals.

I found the mechanical failure deer and lost the fixed head deer.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jeff K in IL

I know this is my first post, but I feel that I need to answer such a post.

Mechanicals, are indeed a performing broadhead, many of them have the capability of out performing some of the well like fixed blade heads. Don't chalk up the use of the mechanicals to the fact that many of their users don't tune or shoot beforehand with them. I spend countless hours and days out of my pre season, shooting broadheads, and adjusting if necessary. A mechanical in many instances only works as well as the shooter; meaning shot placement is the greatest key. Don't be worried with Jackknife Style blades, one of the best: Rocket Steelheads uses such design. Don't be afraid of rubber bands either, more than 90% of the mechanicals still use them. If you test a mechanical, a soft spot on a target is not good IMO. A target like a Rhinehart 18-1 would work well. Or if you want to go more in depth, try using a leather glove in front of the target, or perhaps a piece of meat if you have one (a ham works well). I did a simple test with Rage, Rocket Steelheads, and NAP Spitfires, I shot through a 2" box, and recorded my results like the following: if the blades were deployed by the time the broadhead exited into my target. The NAP Spitfires, and Rocket Steelheads worked to perfection, while the Rage did not. Although I did the test, I took it with a grain of salt, since some of my closest friends have used the Rage 3-Blade without problems.

The point I am trying to get at is; you can do all the testing you want, but until you "test" in real life, all else is perhpas just suspected, or probable. Keep in mind a bad shot, is not a reason to blame the mechanical if performance was poor!
thank you, man my exact thoughts ever since i got on this site 99% of guys bash mechanicals and like some others have said ive tracked only a few of about 30+ deer ive shot with them and i have actually had more faliures with fixed heads (actually never had any with mech) the fixed heads were normal faliures nothing crazy, busted blades bent furlues etc. i will put the rocket steelhead against any and i mean any head out there and i did back when they sent me a free one a long time ago. the most important thing to me is accuracy. a field tip in the lungs would kill a deer so having blades expand off that is just faster killing as to 99% of fixed heads everything has to be perfect for true flight wind,form,tune of bow and when hunting these things are rarely all there but are not going to be noticed until you try to shoot through a two inch opening or try a distance shot in a light breeze.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Broadhead issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.