Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

heavy broadheads..

Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: heavy broadheads..

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

No problems let me know if I can help you design your arrow.

call me nuts
Ok your nuts[8D]
Amen, Brother preach on, he is nuts.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

You could also check out the Wenzels. I believe they start at 150 or 160 grains. Great broadhead and tune easily
Old 09-18-2007, 04:07 AM

i like the arrow and will probably stick with them..think the spine is slightly heavy...can always drop bow weight if needed so they should work with heavy heads...
The spine will have to be real stiff if you want to go up any amount. Weak arrows and broadheads don't mix well. If you have room to shorten the arrows, then that is another option.

Don't be afraid to use insert weights. It's easy to add them. I also recommend buying a large assortment of field tip weights and then do some bareshaft testing to see which flys like it should, before investing in the broadheads.

I have a pile of various sized field tips and a couple boxes of 10 gr and 50 gr brass insert weights that I use to find the ideal arrow setup. The best part about using insert weights is that you can often use the typical broadhead configurations which are easy to match field tips to. That said, I do vastly prefer the thicker blades of the heavy broadheads.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

You have to build an arrow. Start with the broadhead first. You have to run the numbers or you'll just be guessing. One inch on your arrow length, could be the difference between 300-320 spine... Don't just guess, if you don't have a program get with someone that can run the numbers for ya... PM Ausie, he's got an awesome program.
He's nuts anyway.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simmons makes a nice 165 grain head . After switching to heavyer heads , a heavyer arrow , and higher foc this year , broadhead tuning and , broadhead flight in in general , seem to be much friendlier to me this year . And as for prefomance on game , exceptional is all I can say .