Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Two different people shooting a bow

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
bigcountry

Default Two different people shooting a bow

Man, I saw something weird tonight. I wanted to try out my buddies Mathews Drenalin. He has a 29" draw length and I am about 29.5-30. But he has a very small peep, and an extreme sight. So theoretically, we should both same POI. Within reason. I hit over 7" right of where he does. I grouped great, and he did the same.

Ok, so here's the deal. He has been complaining that he sees fishtailing to left or kicking to the left when it leaves the bow. So I came over and shot it, and thought it shot like darts. Arrow flight looked great.

Can our differing POI at 20 yards be indicitive of hand torque? I shoot a high grip open handed so it can be hard to torque. He shoots close handed but said he barely has any grip on it.

I realize I am shooting a very bent elbow style due to the draw on his bow, but I have shot tons of other peoples bows, and never been 7" off of POI of them. Maybe I shot 2" low or so.

I have a feeling he or I is shooting the bow poorly. I mainly shoot bowtechs and not used to the huge monsterous grip on his bow.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Two different people shooting a bow

Yes, it could be hand torque. Or any # of bad form things. If you want a quick test to see who has the worst form, shoot it through paper. This should give you an indication of whom has the bad form. That is if bow is tuned right to start with.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

Yes, it could be hand torque. Or any # of bad form things. If you want a quick test to see who has the worst form, shoot it through paper. This should give you an indication of whom has the bad form. That is if bow is tuned right to start with.
So you are saying you have personally witness 7" variation in POI?

Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a few variables I can think of right off the top of my head that can cause you to shoot the same bow to a different POI. Your face might be wider than his, or vice versa. You might anchor harder into your face than he does, or vice versa. You've already said you had to shoot short draw with the bow, so there's a potential biggie. Your hand and grip are more likely than not to be different.

Any little thing that is different in the way you anchor, hold the bow or even differences between your physiques can cause arrows to strike different POI's. There might be one thing that accounts for the whole 7" variance, but I'm more inclined to be of the opinion that there are several differences that accumulate 7" worth of variance.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Drenalin(sold my other 2 Mathews this spring)and Nick set it up for me since I dont have a press yet.He shot it and hit 1"square at abut 15 yrds then handed it to me to shoot and lo and behold hit it just about dead center on one shot,Iam 5'11" and he is around 5'9" not bad for not shooting a compound in about 9 months due to RC damage...Its just like riding a bike,you never forget how.....
Draw and how you hold the bow are 2 of the bigest things,due to the fact that the distance between eye(center of peep)and nock dont very much from person to person at around 6" so that really shouldnt be a issue at 20 yrds,the issue in my book comes if you are pushing the bow out on release or just letting it drop(canter)forward witch is why you use a wrist strap....
Pushing the bow out while shooting can cause a unwanted canter in the bow witch will give you differant shot placement.(this is all with a mech release)if you shooting fingers then thats a whole differant can...
Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 AM

There are lots of things that can make a difference. Some people center a pin, others center the site. High grip or low grip will cause variation. Peep to eye distance can vary quite a bit, which will cause some difference in POI. Almost everyone applies some torque to a bow, and almost everyone is a bit different in how they apply it. Even though with good shooters it's very small, the torque is still there. Another possibility is bow cant. If it's not the same, then POI will be off. Shooting different releases can cause some variation in how the string is released.

Add everything up and it can be quite a difference between two people. This is something I thought about quite a bit because there is a very good archer at the local shop who's POI is about a foot from mine at 20 yards, using the same bow with a peep. The good thing is it's always the same distance when shooting at 20 yards, which means were both repeating our shots with consistency.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

There are lots of things that can make a difference. Some people center a pin, others center the site. High grip or low grip will cause variation. Peep to eye distance can vary quite a bit, which will cause some difference in POI. Almost everyone applies some torque to a bow, and almost everyone is a bit different in how they apply it. Even though with good shooters it's very small, the torque is still there. Another possibility is bow cant. If it's not the same, then POI will be off. Shooting different releases can cause some variation in how the string is released.

Add everything up and it can be quite a difference between two people. This is something I thought about quite a bit because there is a very good archer at the local shop who's POI is about a foot from mine at 20 yards, using the same bow with a peep. The good thing is it's always the same distance when shooting at 20 yards, which means were both repeating our shots with consistency.
Ok, I guess it can happen. I just know he is worried cause he sees the arrow kicking.