Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy's don't work for me.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Default RE: Muzzy's don't work for me.

ORIGINAL: nubo

I was out shooting today and had all pin's shooting bullet's ,that'
s until I put my Muzzy 90's on and all heck broke lose ,After coming close to throwing my bow across the yard , i decided to throw on my last season's Slick Trick's ,well what a surprise ,i was shooting bullet's once more ,so I guess the muzzy's just aren't for me . I was shooting 27"Easton Axis400 S/T's with 2" blazer's . I've heard from other guy's that they figured the 2" Blazer just wasn't enough vane to control the head. I don't know this to be a fact ,but it certainly appear's to me that they just might be some truth to this in my case .
Has anyone else got any idea's ,to why these Muzzy's aren't working for me ?

nubo
Out of curiosity, what DW are you shooting?
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Muzzy 4 bladers, I didnt do anything to my bow except screw them on, they fly perfect.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

Now is the perfect time to tune your bowMove that arrow rest around and you'll find the sweet spot that will make you confident this fall. Don't stop until your field points and Muzzys hit the same
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you care too, find out why. Could be helpful. Smaller head broadheads are less effected by problems in flight.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guy's !

I threw on my Slick Trick's from last season and shot my target at the same range's and they flew true compared to my Muzzy's . The muzzy's are a 4 blade 90gr , But I'll use my Slick Trick's till I get home from the moose hunt .
After viewing my blazer's it's a fact that I'm getting some contact ,so after arriving home I'll work on my arrow rest and see if I can eliminate the contact ,then I'll try the Muzzy's again .

Thank's guy's for your help .

nubo
Old 09-14-2007, 02:14 PM

I got a new Black Ice the other day sat it up and went out side to shoot it at 65lb with a 28 3/4 axis 400 with is on the light side, a 85 gr thunderhead and 2 inch Blazer vanes set my pin at 26 yards and broke nocks. putting field and broadhead together in a 4 inch spot out to 30 yards. One pin good for 15 to 30 yards they fly great and makes very little bow noise. Sounds like you have a tunning problem
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a similar question...I have a friend that shoots a Switchback, Wisker Bisq. GoldTip's with 4"vanes and 100 gr. Muzzy's....His 20,30, and 40 all fly great, but his 50 seems to "plane" and dive left or right,would switching to Blazers correct this?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:01 PM

the only thing i can say on your question is it could be the balance point of the arrow, but that souldn't be it with 100 gr and 4 inch vanes. 4 inch vanes on carbons should control any broadhead out there, the carbon strighten out faster out of a bow. Do the arrow have stright flitch on them maybe they are not spinning and the broad heads are picking up air and planning, but who shoots deer at 50 yards. The reason Blazers work is because they are higher and lots of area to pick up air that you need for the back of a arrow. We can get away with it now days because of the drop away rest. always remimber when you put broadheads on you now have fins on the front of your arrow and if they don't come out of the bow stright thay also will pick up air and push the nose of the arrow up,down,lift or right
Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

My experience has been that Slick Tricks are easier to get field point matchining flight and impact than Muzzys. Still though, I have not found Muzzys to be a really big problem. If the Muzzys were used, and had been shot several times, there is a chance that the ferrules are bent. The ferrules are a somewhat weak point with Muzzys, IMHO. The aluminum ferrule can and does bend. The blade interlocking system is the strong point of those heads I suspect the Muzzy broadheads that you have are not spinning true to the arrow shaft.
I think you hit it on the head (no pun intended). Last year and the year before, all I had to do was screw on my muzzy 4 blades and they flew just like my field points. Expecting the same this year, I had quite a surprise. My first muzzy and field points grouped well at 20 yards. My next muzzy took a dive at 30 yards and hit way low. It took me a couple of hours to find 4 muzzys that hit the same place as my field points at 30 yards. I was thinking somehow that my ferrules were damaged from hitting dirt, etc. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't take it for granted and will NEVER just screw a head on and think its good to hunt with until I've actually shot it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Just my 2 cents. I posted in another thread that i had nothing but problems practice shooting and sighting in with muzzys. The heads I was usind were ones that had been shot many times, at targets and thru deer. After careful inspection I found that some had either bent ferrules or bent blades. Check blades very carefully after being shot into any target, especially if you are using helical. The force of the spin on impact will bend the blades and then that head will not fly true. Spin test to check for wobble and bent ferrules, as this will also drive you mad when sighting this bh in.

Quick Reply: Muzzy's don't work for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.