Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2 Blade vs. 3 Blade

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

i shot a deer a few years back using a muzzy two blade and hit back near the rear leg and messed her up so she couldnt run then i shot her again in the ribs slight 1/4 too me but i wanted to put another one in her and the deer layed down and i sat and watched it for about ten minutes looked like it was gonna die and i only had one arrow left in my quiver
Why blame the broad head when you made 2 bad shots?
You still had an arrow left you should have used that one to put the deer down for good.

I have taken a lot of big game animals with 2 blade broad heads including a 2000lb Asian Water Buffalo, put the arrow where it needs to go and it will do the job.
my second shot was where it needed to be tucked behind the shoulder on a 1/4ing to shot. im not saying they were good shots just should have been a dead deer and ive taken enough to know that it shouldnt have survived. im with you a hundred percent on putting it where it needs to go and itll do the job, but this was my experience and im sorry that im not a perfect shot every single time in my life like you and made a poor one but with two arrows one of which was where i wanted in the deer i was really disapointed with the performance. i also said that two blade heads have taken lots of game but i gave my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 AM

im not saying they were good shots just should have been a dead deer and ive taken enough to know that it shouldnt have survived.
If you hit them where they should have died, and they didn't, I would guess that it was something that was a correctable problem. There isn't much that can go wrong with a fixed blade head, but there are a couple. One, it might not have been sharp enough. Another, is it may have been on an arrow that was not travelling straight. This can happen because of deflection, wind, low FOC, low arrow weight, out of tune bow, poorly tuned arrow or an unseen defect. None of these can be blamed on the broadhead, except a defect.

I suppose any broadhead is suseptible to a possible defect, however one of the other senerios is far more likely to have been the cause. The fact that the arrows were sticking out of the deer, suggest penetration was not good. Penetration is one of the advantages of two-blade designs, which suggests that the arrow had one of the above mentioned problems (of course I'm assuming the hit was good like you said).

Old 09-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 blade heads are great , Ive used magnus for years with great results , and they fly better than some of the biger 3 blade heads
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

like i said before i dont doubt that they work great most of the time but with todays heads why take the chance unless you have low KE. with my situation i stongly believe more cutting surface would have helped and i should have noted that the second shot was sticking out the other side of the deer the fletch was holding it in. i think they penetrate awsome i think my first shot went into the opposite rear leg on its way out and thats why i didnt pass through but with my second shot placement (likely one lung liver cause of quartering shot) i think with two arrows in it it should have dided within the time i gave it and if not died withing a 1/2 mile. just my situation i know tons of people have had deer go two feet and fall over but poor shots will happen once in awhile and i think that is where there is an advantage to more cutting surface. my recurve heads have two little bleeders that really cant soak up too much energy but will help cut that x shape in the hide and tissue.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using 2-bl heads for years and killed alot of deer with them.Every one I tagged,I watched or heard it crash within 80yds.I've gone thru shoulder blades,busted ribs going in and out and always had decent blood on the ground
Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 AM

poor shots will happen once in awhile and i think that is where there is an advantage to more cutting surface.
This is where we differ. When the shot is in a good spot, 3 and 4-blade designs still penetrate fine on medium/large size game. They work and probably a bit a faster with generally better blood trails (as long as they pass through). When you make a poor shot and hit a non-vital area - no broadhead will work reliably. In these situations you're depending on luck to hit a major artery. When you make a poor shot that hits bone, thick muscle or something that is protecting a vital area, penetration is the key to making a kill. The 2-blade design has an advantage here.

I have never heard of a person hitting a vital with a 2 blade design and complain that it didn't kill the animal. If they have a problem they usually complain about a poor blood trail. Myself, I'm very good at trailing, so I usually opt for the other advantages the 2-blade design give me.