Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1st attempt at center serving.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1st attempt at center serving.

Since I started shooting a bow 3 years ago I have tried to learn more and more about working on bows. I hope to one day be able to do all my own work on all of my bowhunting equipment. I have purchased a bow press, chopsaw for arrows, Bitz jig, etc. The list goes on.
I have gotten more and more confidant in my abilities as time goes by. Saturday while shooting I noticed my string loop looking a little frayed so I decided to change it. When I got it off I noticed that my center serving was starting to unravel. (This was mostly do to me nicking it while cutting off the loop [:@]) So I thought, crap now I have to go to the shop. Then I realised I had purchased a serving tool and thread so I got to it. For a first attempt it turned out well. I knew how to start the thing by paying attention to how the old one came off. I wasn't sure of how to finish tying it off. A few 1/2 hitches one way and then the other took care of it. I then tied on a new loop, realised I didn't measure where the old one was and went outside to hit about a foot high. A bit of an adjustment to the loop and then a tightening of the nock and I'm good to go.
It is a good feeling of accomplishment to be able to do this kind of thing. I don't have to rely on anyone else. I like that.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st attempt at center serving.

Nice job!! I am not at that point yet. There are some things that I shouldn't touch. [&:]
Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

The way I finish off all my servings is the same way I start them . Run the tag end under about a half inch of the serving and then pull tight. No half hitches needed in a bowstring at all except for nock sets.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, congrats on gettin' er done... but you don't need any half-hitches in a center serving.

I would recommend buying Bohning's serving kit with the instructional dvd... I started to say you'll need everything included anyway, but it sounds like you've got a serving tool already. It is nice to see a center serving done properly on video though, where you can pause and rewind as much as you need to.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:51 AM

The Bohning serving kit is awesome. I center served mine a few weeks ago and it turned out awesome.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman
I wasn't sure of how to finish tying it off. A few 1/2 hitches one way and then the other took care of it.
Myself, I would worry about the 1/2 hitches. There is a proper way to finish one off, and you should never worry about it coming unraveled. But the 1/2hitches it might.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for posting that pic. I'll do it again tonight. I'll look at Saturdays attempt as practice. I would much rather do it right if I'm going to do it.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

Ok, just remember, all your doing is handwinding to unwind the serving over the string about 10-15 loops.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

10-4, I'll let you know how it works out. I appreciate the tip!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg.

The pic BC put in whas what I was trying to describe to you this morning[8D]

Quick Reply: 1st attempt at center serving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.