Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setting Strings and Cables

Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Setting Strings and Cables

I am a little confused on this subject. I just relized that I need a new string and new cables for my bow. I have a bow press coming so that won't be a problem. But, on the Hoyt it says that there are no timing issues because of the slave cable. Well, I have seen someone do a post on AT about setting it right. I just wonder if anyone could give me that link of give me there opinion. I really am in the dark on this subject. I don't want to go to my pro shop if I can aviod it. In the manual it says that they should line up with the holes, well there are holes and lines to tell you where to put them, so which one do you choose to use? How do you start putting the strings and cables on, like do they come prestwisted or do you have to put the twists in them to start with? If yes, how many is a good starting point? Sorry for the longwinded post, but I really want to learn to do this.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Setting Strings and Cables

On the hoyts you are talking about cam sinc and draw stop timing. I could go into great detail on how to do this, but the easiest way would be to read about it on the link you are talking about. The AT users name is Javi. Just do a search under tuning hoyt cams and I'm sure the link you want will be in there. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Javi's post for tuning the cam 1/2 is a sticky on AT so you wont have any problem finding it. There most certainly is timing issues with the cam 1/2 even with the slave cable. If not timed right then you will have a squashy back wall because the cams will not be hitting the cables at the same time. Works best for timing the cams if you have a draw board also .
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think your going to really enjoy the work. Don't be afraid to experiment. I can say this, even wacked out the cam 1/2 will still shoot well. The work my bro had done in 2 "pro" shops convinced me of that.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Yes, I think I'll like doing it too. I think that you have to like itto be any kind of good bow tuner.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll be amazed!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

yea find Javi's thread. It is awesome. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=207391

I just got a new string and cables and I was dissappointed when the shop didn't tune it up great. The timing marks are off and the wall is a little mushy. And my peep is rotated a very small degree, but hopefully it'll straighten out. But its too late for me to fuss with it with the season five days away. It still shoots good enough.