Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MAKING THE SWITCH?????????

Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MAKING THE SWITCH?????????

cheap carbons might as well be used for bluegill fishing poles. I've owned some good carbons, and bad ones. The bad ones will make you want to quit shooting. The good ones will give you as much confidence as good aluminum arrows.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ar34muzzyman

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE WENT BACK TOO ALUMINIM ARROWS,AND WHY???
I am considering it. I just sent back 3 arrows to carbon express due to bad arrows with extreme heavy sides. YOu never saw the inconsistencies with spine and straightness on aluminums. But to get the spine I need, I have shoot fat arrows, which I don't like. I shoot alum with my recurves and longbows.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 AM

I still shoot aluminums out of one longbow. They happen to fly extremely well out of this particular bow, so I'll use them until they're gone. I've pretty much switched to carbons for one reason. Weight to stiffness ratio. Carbon allow for a much higher FOC, which has been demonstrated to be valuable for increased penetration.

The switch to carbons has forced me to make a spine tester and to spend a lot more time tuning my arrows. However, when I'm done they shoot very well.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:05 AM

THANKS GUYS-I WAS JUST CURIOUS-BEEN HEARING ABOUT HOW ALUMINUM TENDS TO GET BETTER PENETRATION,AND BETTER TOLERANCES-???????SEEM TO LAST LONGER??????
Old 09-10-2007, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ar34muzzyman

THANKS GUYS-I WAS JUST CURIOUS-BEEN HEARING ABOUT HOW ALUMINUM TENDS TO GET BETTER PENETRATION,AND BETTER TOLERANCES-???????SEEM TO LAST LONGER??????
I think the increased penetration comes from the typically heavier weight. However, a carbon of the same weight, with the weight up front, will penetrate even better.

The tolerances on aluminum are better than most carbons, but you can get most of the relatively low tolerance carbons to work well if you know how to spine tune and properly build your arrows.

Lasting longer is a debatable issue no matter which side of the fence you're on. Aluminums bend more easily but don't break as readily. The bends can often be repaired. Carbons don't bend, but will break, though not real easily. Carbons also appear to lose some their spine after a lot of shooting, though how much is still not really known. Neither are perfect and I wouldn't choose between them based on this issue.

In my view, the penetration advantage of an extreme FOC carbon is big. If you're one who is going to shoot a typical FOC, then neither is a clear cut winner on the typical close range hunting shots, in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've never shot a carbon arrow!!! I've never had a problem with aluminium, so I see no need to switch!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 AM

This topic pops up on here every once in a while and it confuses the heck out of me.

I've shot both aluminum arrows and carbons. I shoot carbons full time now simply because they draw much quieter for me, and they don't bend if you miss a target or drop your quiver. And have you heard a branch of a tree rake across aluminum arrows in a quiver? It's sounds like all hell is breaking loose. Carbon's sound like a buck rattling.

Some people throw out all these statistics about "tolerances from the factory are better on aluminum than on carbons" and "aluminum is way more reliable" or "carbons are too finicky" and stuff like "carbons are way too fragile" or "the cheap carbons aren't as accurate". I have found all of this to be bull-poop as far as I'm concerned.

I shoot the bottom of the line RedHead Carbon Fury arrows. They are super cheap like $49 a dozen. I peg2-1/2" to 3" groups with them at 40 yards all day long. This is plenty accurate, and if it's not accurate enough for you, thenyou have mental problems. I know there are people that shoot way better than this, but it's not too shabby. I have shot a lot of different aluminums arrows, and they always ended up bending or something. I have shot carbon arrows into a 18" concretewalland it didn't even phase it. I still have that arrow, and shoot it regularly.

It's my opinion thatwhatever works best for you is the way you should go. If you practice a lot, I suggest carbon, becasue aluminum will eventually get all bent up, but again, that's my opinion. If you can shoot a 2" group at 40 yards with aluminum, then you can do it with carbons too.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM

Aluminum maybe for target as line cutters, but never for hunting. Carbons just smiply out perfrom aluminum for hunting hands down
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
bigcountry

How will carbon outperform? A heavier arrow will out penetrate.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Carbon don,t bend, they are smaller around helping it to penetrate better aluminum are bending like a snake coming out off the bow. carbon don't as much it take aluminum about 10 yard before it straightens out. carbons are almost striaght out of the bow. Also aluminum bends when it hit some thing carbons don't lose as much energy as aluminum from shot to the hit. so what happens more penetration and a smaller arrow to go through the hole. If you took two fishing pole at the same weight, but one light action and ones a heavy action and ran them into a wall with is going to knock a hole in the wall and with one going to bend?

Quick Reply: MAKING THE SWITCH?????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.